Chapter 29

' I was trying to protect you! From imbeciles, and leeches. Not to mention your own poor judgment' Klaus said not bothering about the words he just said to me at all. THe only one who knew was Elijah and he gave me one pity look i didn't like at all. 'And what about the one that you loved enough to call friend? Why did you forbid me to love Marcel' 'Do not mention his name' he snapped or screamed. 'What has happened to you? I remember the sweet boy who made me laugh and gave me gifts, who loved art and music. I wanted to be just like you. How could you have fallen so far' 'You say you despise Rebekah for her betrayal, and yet no one has stood by your side for so long, not even I myself. Perhaps it's you that's forgotten. I remember the day that Father caught you whittling little chess pieces with his hunting knife. He beat you so mercilessly and for so long, I actually feared for your life' he said while they were getting pulled in another memorie.

'So, you would paint her as a loyal sister, but she betrayed me out of lust for Marcel. Perhaps that was why you did it-- for love. Perhaps I might temper my rage if Rebekah will admit she was a victim of her own idiocy. That her great love, Marcel, used her to oust this family and to take my city' he said to him. I sat to some tomb on the ground i couldn't hear anymore. This was so tiring. 'Marcel did not manipulate me' Rebekah said defending her lover. ' You defend him, and yet you can't help but wonder, what if I'm right' 'We loved each other. It was your refusal to respect that that led to your ruin' she said and Nik knew she was right. 'Then why didn't he chase after you when you fled New Orleans? Oh, yes! That's right. He was here stealing what I built' he said way too calm. 'You want me to renounce Marcel, to beg for your forgiveness? I won't. Marcel is not at fault. I called Mikael' 'Rebekah you must-' i tried 'I was the one who brought him to New Orleans because of yourwickedness! I wanted love and happiness, and you denied me the freedom to have either. Yes, I hated and I was afraid of our father, but he was a lesser evil than you. My bastard brother who loomed over me, threatening me as you are now. I wanted rid of you, and given the choice, I'd do it again' gosh Rebekah you can't really apologize can you.

Klaus had enough and lunches for her head. He pushed her to some tomb just when he is about to stake her i tackle him and Elijah gets the blade and stake in his hands leaving Nik with nothing. 'Mia, Sister, leave us' he said. 'We are not leaving you' i said. 'Go' he said once again what did made Rebekah leave but i didn't. I have to face him. 'So what's it gonna be? You hold both weapons. Tunde's blade would put me down, but the stake could finish me off for good' 'Nik stop this right now he is not going to kill you' 'how about you are you going to kill me cause you will never succeed' 'i don't want to kill you ever after those horrible things you said to me' i said and his eyes softed up a bit. 'Well-- unlike you, brother-- I have no taste for fratricide' 'why do you two must defend her. Rebekah betrayed you, as well, when she brought Mikael here' he said. 'Because she is our sister, and because I like to remember her the way that she was before we became what we became. She was an innocent girl, quick to laugh, full of life' Elijah said thinking back to how thew once were. 'My memories serve to make her betrayal more painful' 'Can you not then accept some small part of the blame? After all, Niklaus, it was your cruelty that led her to do what she did' i said to him. 'Do you not see, Mia? She didn't mean to chase me off. She wanted me dead ' 'you are so wrong' i sighed. 'She has always hated me. You know that's true' 'You have no idea, do you? You have no idea what she was prepared to do for you. When our sister sees something that she perceives to be an injustice, she can be stubborn, impetuous, and, at times, downright dangerous. And never was this more apparent than the night she tried to kill our father ' Elijah said and i was shocked to hear this.

'What is this, some melodramatic fiction designed to garner my sympathy' Klaus said scoffing at him. 'It is the truth. I was there. And she would have done it, all to protect you, had I not stopped her. I often wished that I could revisit that moment, complete the task myself' Elijah said. They really wanted to do anything to make it stop the beatings towards Nik. 'Why are you telling me this now?' 'Niklaus, sometimes our sister acts without thinking. She's short of temper, she's quick to fall in love, but she loves you. But, your malicious treatment has broken her heart. So, yes, she responded by summoning our father. Yes, that was a mistake. I'm not entirely sure that I can blame her' 'i can' Nik said of course he can. Klaus vamp-speeds away but Elijah beats him to it. 'Niklaus, so help me-' 'Are you really going to stand against me? And not with that pathetic blade. You'd just have to pull it out someday, and then I'd hate you as I do her, now. If you want to protect Rebekah, you'll need to use the white oak stake' ' I don't have to listen to this nonsense ' 'Oh, don't pretend you haven't thought about it. You look at me, and you see everything you abhor in yourself. Sure, you dress it up with your fancy suits and your handkerchiefs. You, with your mask of civility and eloquence, you're every bit the abomination I am. Or worse. Go on, Elijah. Go on. Use the white oak stake '

Elijah throws the white oak stake far away. 'I'm not so cowardly that I have to kill you, Niklaus, but if I have to make you suffer to protect Rebekah, that is what I will do' 'You see? I knew you couldn't do it. You still cling to the hope that I can be redeemed, and if the bastard can be saved, then maybe there's hope for you' Klaus speeds to Elijah and pushed papa tunde's blade into his chest. 'No' i screamed and i catched Elijah up. 'There. Now you know how it feels' he said.

Rebekah appeared behind us. 'That was supposed to be my line' she said. she got the white oak stake. ' Now, I have this. So I decide who lives and who dies. I'm taking out that blade' she said. 'Rebekah please don't do anything stupid' i begged her. 'You'll have to kill me first, and now you hold the means to do so. Why not finish what you started a century ago' ' I did not want you dead. I wanted you to run' she explained but knowing him he wouldn't back down. Not now. 'Liar! You wanted revenge' he yelled. ' You drove me to betray you, and now you want to twist it and make it worse so you can justify killing me instead of accepting your own fault? All I did was love your friend! You could've been happy for us, but instead, in your paranoia, you feared losing us both. And, because of that, you did. There is no one else to blame, Nik. Only you. And now after all this fighting you did lose people, you lost me after all hell you even lost Mia after confessing your love to her you turn your back on her she took the dagger for your sorry ass how could you do this to me and do this to her she loves you even after all this' Rebekah said. His eyes wandered to me. 'I'll let Mia decide for herself at the end of the day, but where is Marcel now, hmm? I thought he loved you, and yet he left you trapped in here with me' he said.

But he knew he lost me but i don't know if i was ready to let him go just yet even after all the horrible things he did today.