Breaking Rules

You were frozen in place, your brain trying to process the current assault on your senses. The smell of Negan, the feel of his glove-covered hand on your chin, his face right there in front of you, and the sound of his voice all but daring you to lean forward and complete all five senses by having a taste of that luscious mouth.

It had been so long since you had experienced any physical intimacy; in fact, you hadn't even kissed anyone since before the apocalypse began. Having a man so powerful and attractive within reach was almost more than your hormones could take at the moment. The end to your sexual drought was right in front of you, all you had to do was take it. Just move your head forward an inch and...

Break one of his rules.

The thought came rushing through the current fog of your mind, clearing away the desire-filled stupor caused by Negan's close proximity.

One good thing about working in the kitchen and serving the food was that you were able to overhear dozens of conversations on a daily basis. The latest gossip, who was flirting with whom, who was going on what supply run, and any recent conflicts were all common meal topics. Another main topic was Negan's rules, and more specifically what happened to those who broke them. Between overheard banter in the cafeteria and the conversations you'd had with Maria, you knew that Negan had plenty of rules, including ones in regards to sex.

First off, he was completely against any type of sexual assault and abhorred rape. He also didn't tolerate any of his wives cheating on him, even if it was with their actual pre-apocalypse husbands. Lastly, he didn't let any of his wives kiss him. You had laughed at this when Maria first told you, which had caused her to get upset and leave the conversation. You had later apologized for your reaction but still internally thought it was ridiculous, not to mention degrading, that Negan had put forth such a rule and yet had multiple women in the compound who were still willing to sleep with him.

Reorienting yourself to the situation at hand, you closed your eyes to block out Negan's presence. You had come so close to breaking a vital rule; leaning forward and closing the gap between your mouths would probably have put you in even deeper shit than you were already in.

Due to your lack of response, you felt Negan pull his head back so that his breath was no longer on your face. Opening your eyes, you saw him looking down at you with a smug grin on his face as though he were relishing in your frozen panic.

Anger began to boil in your stomach as you realized that Negan most likely knew what you were thinking. His rules were common knowledge, so of course he would expect you to be aware of them. You realized just how much of a "checkmate" his move had been, since you couldn't escape with him blocking you against the wall but you also couldn't move forward and into him without placing yourself in further punishment for breaking yet another rule.

It was one thing to be maneuvered skillfully into a checkmate position and admit defeat on your own, but Negan had practically bullied you into submission with his actions, not to mention he had toyed with your emotions and forced you to realize just how lonely and devoid of intimacy your life had been this past year.

Despite feeling as if you had been standing there processing all of this for what seemed like eternity, you knew that you had only been silent for a minute, maybe less. But oh, what an enlightening minute it had been.

"Looks like you finally realized who's in fucking charge around here. I must say, I didn't expect you to show defeat so fucking quick, but I guess it's to be expected, what with me being so persuasive and all." Negan's hand lifted from your chin and he took a step back, his other hand dropping off the wall to rest at his side. His expression screamed arrogance and victory, which caused you to grit your teeth in annoyance.

How dare he fuck with you as if you were some toy to play with and then toss away when you were done putting up a fight?! And most of all, how dare he make you want him, make you think that he wanted you too, only to realize that this had all been some messed up game of "chess".

You tried to deny it, but the truth was that part of you still desired him. He looked so damn beautiful standing there in front of you, so sure of himself and his effect on you. He currently appeared unaffected himself, but you hadn't been imagining that flare of desire you had seen in his eyes a couple minutes ago. There was no way that tension-filled moment had been completely one-sided, try as he might to cover it up with sarcasm and a grin.

"Well, doll, now that you've finally accepted your place, which is to be fucking quiet and complacent, I suppose I could ease up a bit on your punishment. Maybe even let you walk out of here without having to punish you at all. What do you say? Did you fucking learn your lesson?" He shook his head and chuckled as you continued to stare at him silently, "Hell, can you even respond anymore? Don't feel bad, I know my presence makes women all swoony and speechless. It's a fucking gift of mine."

It felt as though something snapped inside you at his words. Looking back later, you believed that it was quite possible the snap was your intelligence leaving the building. Your tendency to be "audacious" finally crossed the line into utterly foolish as you pushed yourself off the wall and walked right up to Negan. You relished in the look of surprise on his face as you reached up, curled a hand around the back of his neck, and pulled his lips down onto your own.