Chapter Five

“Turner!” He barked the order and the wolf that had circled her legs stood on its hind legs and within a few seconds was a naked human man, standing to attention as his Alpha raged.

“Ray.”

“She has left, she rejected me.”

“She has not said the words.”

“She would have if she knew them.”

“Then use that to your advantages, woo the woman. Being angry all the time will not work with one who is already afraid. You saw her fear, now you need to understand why it was there on her face. Be patient, learn more about her.”
“I want to follow her, I want to see where she is going and why the boy ran to her.”

                At the mention of the boy snarls went up around the clearing they were in. They had been a little offended that she thought them monstrous enough to hurt a child but that had been before they realised something was wrong with her and the boy. Now they had protective instincts going. Her bruises had not gone unnoticed by a single one of them. Her pain had been felt by them, and a respect for the woman who swallowed her fear and walked on ignoring the pain it caused her, to come and stand her ground in front of an Alpha, grew.

                One by one the wolves stood on their back legs and let the change take over them so they returned to their human forms. Being naked on changing back they had thought it better to wait until she had gone but now she wasn’t there they wasted no time.

“Alpha, are you going to follow her?”

“Where does she live?”

“Why did you let her go?”

                And so the questions rang around in his head as they all seemed to have their own opinion on what to do and what he should have done.

“Quiet!” He eventually called order. “We will follow her. Turner, pick your men, stay and guard the forest.”

“Yes Alpha. Joshua, Daniels, Rupert stay.”

                There was very rarely a threat to the forest but Ray had learnt a long time ago to not become complacent. He never left the forest without a guard. He had children in here to protect, women, mates. All were his responsibility and he was known for doing a good job, he wouldn’t let anything slip just because he had a woman.

                Choosing five of his best he called them to his side. Only some of his pack were here, the rest were working, or with families, this was his main guard, the warriors who attended meetings. And from it five would go with him directly, the others would spread out and surround the area to protect their Alpha and consequently, now, his mate; the female Alpha. Whether she allowed the claim or not she had gained their protection, as a werewolf she was entitled to it, as the Alpha’s mate – she was guaranteed it, no matter what protests came from her mouth.