Chapter Twenty Seven

It was the howling that broke Tendra from her position on the floor.

“Tim, on your feet lad, we have to be ready now.”

“Is this where we’re going to get hurt?” He asked, he was breaking her heart.

“Yes, Tim. I think so.”

                In the background she heard growls rumbling from the back of throats and she couldn’t tell whose they were. No one came for them, but the sounds of metal grating against something could be heard, as if heavy iron gates were being moved slowly, the heavy metal taking wolf strength to move. Her heart hammered in her chest, hurt to some extent as it pounded in her rib cage. Bang bang bang.

“Tendra?” A warm hand touched her own and she opened her fingers to let the tiny hand slide into her palm.

“What is it Tim.” She whispered in the quiet of their cage.

“I’m scared.”

“Oh Tim.” She held back her tears with such force, it was one of the hardest things she had ever done. Falling to her knees in front of him she opened her arms and wrapped them around his body, “I love you so much. Be brave Tim. Be brave. Ray will come for us. Believe that.”

“He’s already here Tendra. I hear them.”

                She bowed her head, “Yes, they’re here.”

“Do you think they will get hurt as well?” He asked.

“I don’t know. I honestly don’t know.” Resting her head on his shoulder she thought back to the slaughter of their pack. Their warriors were already down in numbers, and half were back at the safe house. Nancy had betrayed their pack and the image of the magnificent warrior wolves lying dead and bloodied on the floor haunted her waking eyes. What hope was there of surviving this. Ray had but a third of their warriors in this pack. Compared to the Letale pack – their advanced skills and their full numbers  - there was… not much to really say.

“I promise Tendra.”

“Promise?”

“I’ll be brave. I’m not hiding today.”

                The rumbling growls got deeper, louder and the grating stopped. Paused. Until all of a sudden sound crashed around them. Bangs, and snarling, thumping and male screaming. Yells and shouts and pounding. She heard the sharp scratching of claws on stone, sharpening them to deadly blades; all the easier to tear at fur and flesh. It was coming. The end. Doors banged open and she stood back up and positioned herself infront of Tim. She would protect him to her last breath. Only her death would expose her brother. She awaited such a fate…

They had been prepared for an attack but not to such an extent and Ray followed Lebon down the little hill, dodging trees and even the barb traps that had been set up. Loud whines told him other wolves had not seen the silver teeth that quickly clamped around their legs locking it and piercing the skin, tearing as they moved and tried to get free. He smelt blood and knew some wolves were already down and they were yet to get to the brick fortress in front of them.