Chapter Twenty One

Tendra had barley lifted her head when Ray pushed her back down and a gust of wind told her that the warriors had completely lost their minds.

“Warriors!” Ray tried to call them to halt as they went in to attack the Sanguis pack, they stopped dead in their tracks at the authority of his voice. They had barely any choice but they were on the verge of changing and they looked wild; their hair half grown, their arms longer than usual about to break into the distorted figures. They looked like crazed.

“Haha, it takes more than a few warriors to brings us down. I see our reputation has preceded us. Though I am not surprised. Calm your mongrels and join us!”

                The leader spat the order at Ray and Ray saw red, he lunged. No one called his pack of fully trained and loyal wolves, mongrels. His trousers ripped and his legs morphed, his wolf form took over completely and he lunged for the evident Alpha of that pack. But he was flung backwards and let out an involuntary whine as his torso hit the arm of the leader. Just the arm, that was all it took and he was flying backwards in the air to land at a heap on the floor. Tendra gasped and ran to him but he had changed back into his human form before she was at his feet. He stood and faced his opponent. That was humiliating for him. He was Alpha for crying out loud, he should not be seen as so weak as that. A single arm. But boy that arm came with much strength.

                The leader walked forward, his head was bald and his eyes, as piercingly blue as they were, looked deadly. Tendra felt the fear rise in her throat and it was no longer the terrible stench in her nose that made her want to puke. It was the fear that crawled like a snake up from the pit of her stomach, to the base of her throat. It coiled round her lungs and made it so she was gasping for her breaths. The man was coming closer and closer to her, his eyes were on Ray but it was only a matter of time before he saw her.

“And again Alpha, I tell you to follow me. You followed a scent, but it was not our scent you followed. We are not owed your attack!” He bellowed out the last part and Ray moved forward, mirrored his stance as he squared up to the Sanguis pack’s leader.

“Not owed out attack?!” He yelled in return. “You kill my man! You slaughtered my pack! You are owed my attack! You are owed, much, much more than a simple attack!”

“Your man?!”

                Tendra was shaking at the raised voice, Ray had calmed her somewhat during the time she had spent with him but raised voices meant raised fists and she was having flash backs of the hell she had managed to escape, at the same time she was praying that Ray lived through this experience. It was then she noticed a difference in the scent around her. It caught at her nose. She followed it, moving, unaware, closer to the leader. He smelt like the Sanguis pack… but didn’t. She got closer to him, he wore but a pair of shorts on his toned legs and she detected the scent at the shorts The closer she got the more she realised this scent was not coming from his body. His body’s scent was masked, by the terrible odour of rotting flesh.

“Your man!” The leader repeated, “This very man here, whom I saved?!”

                The leader threw out his arm and pointed behind him and the warriors stopped, Tendra stopped, her breath catching in her lungs, the little of it she had in the first place.