Chapter Twenty Four

She was being carried; she knew that much as she started to come round. And it wasn’t a dignified carry, she over someone’s shoulder and it hurt, their shoulder pressed into the top of her stomach, just under her breasts and it made breathing difficult, more painful. The pace they were walking at was more like a slow sprint, it was fast and it made her already dizzy head even more dizzy. She vaguely got concerned about being unconscious twice in less than an hour but figured that was the least of her problems.

                She didn’t say anything, she didn’t struggle, she simply let them carry her off to somewhere unknown, for the simple reason that her head hurt and she knew she was too weak to fight and that it would bring worse consequences for her. The thing that calmed her down though was that she knew Ray would not let them just take her. She knew he would come for her and so she vowed to be compliant, the nicer she was and less likely to put up a fight, the higher the chance they kept her alive longer and that gave Ray a chance to get to her before they took her life.

                She tried to not be afraid, she tried to reason that Ray would come for her, but still that sick feeling in the pit of her stomach remained and it was in fear she closed her eyes and like a child let the darkness take her again…

She woke with a jolt of pain after being dropped to the cold hard floor. She groaned at the shooting pain and was kicked in the ribs for her noise. She didn’t make the mistake of crying out at the pain again. Her hair was caught up in a tight grip and she held back her moan instead she opened her eyes and looked at her attacker, it was a he. And he looked horrifying.

                His face was thin, his hair was long, but limp, his lips were… too red. Like blood, gory almost, and she wondered what he had eaten because she was sure he had eaten it raw. His eyes were a mix between brown and green and looked… off. Wrong, and they were deep, not deep as in ocean depth like a lover, but deep as in soulless. She gulped at his image, it wasn’t that he looked uncared for, or like he didn’t clean himself, but rather that he looked as if what he did was messy work, dirty work and she glanced back at his lips, slaughter wasn’t the cleanest of jobs and he was responsible for a lot of that.

“Two birds with one stone is the saying but you,” Spit dripped from the side of his mouth as he spoke to her, sickeningly, “you will help me get three.”

“Three?” She questioned trying to not puke at the sight of his disgusting excuse for hygiene. A sharp slap to her face quelled her line of questioning though. “Hush!” He spat in her face, “I want your father dead, screwing me over and running from me, but I also think I want new land and your mate doesn’t need all that land. I can have your father, your mate and his land and finally dispose of you brats that have made your pathetic excuse of a father move so long. You little girl made him move too often and I don’t like chasing people especially when my own pack couldn’t dispose of him for me when he travelled to their districts.”

“Are your pack that bad then?”

                She didn’t know where the words came from, or why she said them. She wondered where her previous terror had gone but she knew one thing; she would not die cowering. She would face her final moments with strength and she would ensure that the life others had worked at, to both lengthen and make happy, would not be wasted.