Chapter Twenty

It didn’t take as long as Tendra thought it would to get to the border. Having kept to a gruelling pace they made their way through trees and brambles and bushes in record time, with Tendra picking up on the scent. She smelled mint somewhere to her left and while she longed to stop and take a reprieve from the horrible rotten smell in her nose she didn’t. She ignored the luxury of mint and hastened on through the trees.

                They paused at the border and slowly changed back into their human forms hastily putting on their clothes. Wolves were a good form but not when passing though another’s territory. It wouldn’t bode well if they met the Alpha of this pack whilst looking threatening.

“He has been informed?” Ray double checked.

“He has, he gave permission willingly.” Another warrior confirmed and Ray took the first step over the border. The first thing that Tendra saw on this new territory was a purple flower in a vague teardrop shape. Had she been there for any other reason she would have stopped to admire its beauty. As it was Ray had taken a hold of her hand and, with regret in her eyes, she let him pull her away from it. They had not long left to go.

                The trail this time was new to Tendra and that meant she needed to concentrate a little more on it. Ray had let go of her hand long ago and his hand was by his side, prepared for attack, and waiting patiently for her to tell them in what direction they needed to go in. Once more she took on a careful approach. She seemed hesitant but the look in her eye told Ray she wasn’t hesitating, she was just making sure she was going in the right direction. She was thorough and that reassured him knowing she was doing everything she could to not make mistakes.

                Ray could still smell Ashton scent, though it was still elusive and he couldn’t pick up on the direction it was in.

“Alpha.” A quiet command came from above them and startled Tendra whipped her head up to stare at the man above her, stood on a large rock, more like a boulder. He looked bigger than Ray; muscles roped all alone his arms and his torso was double the size of Ray’s. This man could knock someone out with a single punch.

“Alpha.” Ray greeted in return.

“Two scouts of yours came not long ago, asking for passage through and trying hard not to show their wariness, thinking of my suspected involvement in the slaughter of your pack.”

“My pack is not all gone and it is not you we suspect. You were merely a lead I had no choice but to cross off.”

“And I am crossed off your list.”

“I have no proof but I will trust my instincts.”

                The stern features of the man on the rock relaxed and he finally let out a smile taking a single step of the rock. Tendra hadn’t even been aware of the rise of the forest floor she had been so absorbed in her work of following the scent.

“My friend, what has happened and why have you a woman with you?” The new Alpha greeted Ray as a friend, their hands clasping the opposite of each other in a hand shake.