Chapter Nine

Oh how beautiful and nymph like she had looked to be playing in the water. Her thin body covered by skin tight clothes being wet they stuck to her body and he could make out every single curve on her body. It had taken quite a bit of restraint to stand there alongside Ashton, waiting patiently for her to get out of the water.

“I’ll take Tim now; it’s cold and once he’s warmed up Nancy will serve up on of her best dinners. Shepherd’s pie.” Ashton was smiling fondly, and trying to reassure her but Tendra took little comfort in his words. Her brother was being taken from her without her consent.

                Kneeling down she hugged the little boy before allowing Ashton to take hold of his hand and guide him to the door… and through it.

“Tendra, why are you crying? We are not taking the boy from you forever, only tonight so me and you can talk.”

“I did not agree to him spending the night somewhere else! I do not trust any of you and I especially do not want to leave my little brother in the hands of someone I don’t trust!”

“Ashton is one of my men, one of the best we have, he will protect Tim fiercely. I give you my word.”

“I don’t trust you either. I’m sorry but how can I? I have known you only a couple of days, you or your men, you’re all the same to me. Just men of a different pack. One I don’t know, one I have never lived in and can’t trust so easy as you think I should.”

                He took hold of her arms and pulled her to her feet, pushing gently on her to make her walk over to the log fire he had started especially for her warmth.

“You are my mate.”

“I don’t want a mate.”

“You think all werewolves are like your father?”

                Her silence was enough of an answer to him.

“I will prove to you that we are not. You father acted in ways that are very wrong. To hurt you as a father in unthinkable. I will never understand how he could do such a terrible thing. But Tendra, this is what you need to understand more than anything else. For him to hurt you, as a werewolf to another is a taboo and that he was alpha over you, only worsens that taboo making it a subject that makes others cringe to even think about. Werewolves feel the pain of others, and seeing one hurt - feeling that pain and knowing they can never hide it, it hurts us as well. In a way. Not physically but it hurts us.”

                She wasn’t looking at him. He wanted her to look at him so bad, to really take in what he was saying to her and believe it. “Look at me.” He took hold of her chin and forced her head up, so her eyes looked into his. “Your father was very wrong and acted in a way alien to every other werewolf out there.”

“Not every other werewolf.”

“What?”