Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Multiple weeks had passed, and I was glad that everything was completely back to normal. It was now December third, also known as my birthday. I never really considered birthdays to be big deals. I haven't celebrated mine in only God knows how long. I'm not sure the boys knew today was my birthday, because I hadn't told them. I mean, what's the big deal? I'm just turning another year older and by tomorrow, I'll be an adult. Officially eighteen. But what's the big deal?

I woke up alone in the bed. I was surprised because every morning I usually woke up to Louis beside me. I rolled over to find a note on Louis' pillow. Well, it was one of my pillows, but it was the one he used. The note said that he was sending me on what he called a treasure hunt. He wrote that he was the treasure, and I had to find him. I laughed at his cheesyness. I didn't know where to look for the first clue, but I knew I'd find it. I got dressed in the baby blue dress that was laid out on my chair, probably by Louis. I also put on my black north face jacket, because I knew it was going to be a cold. After I had finished getting ready, I opened the door and a piece of paper fluttered to the ground. I unfolded it and read the clue.

Today on this very special day,

Follow the arrows and you'll be on your way.

I looked through the doorway to see a little red arrow pointing towards the staircase. I walked to the stairs to find another one pointing downward. I walked down the steps to see the next arrow pointing to the kitchen. I walked in and saw daisies on the kitchen table with another piece of paper taped to the vase.

For the next clue you don't have to go far,

Its hidden inside an instrument that isn't a guitar.

I knew all the instruments were in the music room, so I decided to look there. Plus, the room was two rooms over, so it went with the part of the clue that told me I didn't have to go far. Nothing in the music room looked out of the ordinary. The only instruments that weren't guitars was the drums and the piano. You can't exactly hide something inside drums, so I decided to check the piano. I opened it to find pink carnations with yet another clue.

When I'm with you I feel bliss,

Go to where we had our first kiss.

I smiled as I put on my shoes and headed outside. It took about twenty minutes to walk to the beach, which was deserted. I as the only one in sight. I looked around and saw seashells forming a heart about fifty feet to the left of where I was standing. I walked over and stood in the middle of the heart as I read the next clue.

Now that I know you're the one for me,

Go to the park and find the willow tree.

I did what I was told, and took the thirty minute walk to the park. I looked around the park, and at first all I saw were oak and pine trees. I walked a little further to see a small lake with an island and a willow tree in the middle. The lake was frozen over, but I was scared I was going to fall through. I could see the note tacked to the tree, but I didn't know how to get there. I walked around the lake and realized that Lou had walking on it already. The coldness dorm the ice seeped through my flats and I shivered a bit before quickly walking over to the willow tree. I took the note off the tree after noticing that Louis and my initials were carved into the willow.

I'm assuming you're hungry because its time for lunch,

Go get a burger to have a munch.

I laughed at the fact that he probably couldn't figure out another rhyme for lunch. I walked to the cafe that was across the street. They asked me if I was Miss Corbett, and after confirming that I was, they gave me a cheeseburger, a chocolate milk, and a folded piece of paper. I sat down at one of the tables and ate as I deciphered the next clue.