Chapter 30

Chapter 30

The man, who I now know to be Mike, dropped me off at the group home. He spoke to Nancy, but I didn't care to listen. I stood there as Nancy periodically gasped. I had agreed to let Mike tell Nancy the story of my past. I didn't talk or interrupt throughout the whole story. Once he was finished, he told us he had to be getting home. He gave me a hug, and I whispered one last thank you. He smiled before walking out the door and closing it behind him. I turned and walked up the stairs to my bedroom. I heard Nancy following behind me and I knew she wanted to talk, but I just didn't feel like it. I walked into my room and started to close the door but she walked right in behind me.

I gave her a look as if to say 'are you kidding me' as she asked Molly and Quinn to leave. I climbed up onto my top bunk and sat criss cross. She was sitting on the bottom bunk of the other bunk bed.

"Jackie, before I start, I just want to let you know, I'm only trying to do what's best for you." Nancy said as i nodded off her to continue. "Those boys are going to come back here when tour is done to see if you'll come beck with them. I wanted to tell you that I think you should give them a chance. You should go with them, because you will also have a much better life with them than here. I don't think you want to be stuck here for another two years."

I looked down at her as she looked up at me. She had her eyebrows raised waiting for an answer, but she should know that I don't talk anymore. Mike was an exception, because he saved me. I just nodded my head yes.

"So you are going to go with them?" She asked.

I nodded yes as she smiled and walked out of my room. I groaned as I shoved my face into the pillow. I didn't really want to go with them, but I promised Mike I would give it a chance. I pulled the blankets up over my head as I heard Molly and Quinn come back into the room and get into bed. I felt bad Nancy had kicked them out while they were trying to sleep. I soon heard their breathing become soft and steady and knew they were both asleep. I began crying for reasons I didn't feel like going over. I just felt so lonely and confused.

They said they'd never leave me, but they did. Louis said he loved me, but it seems like he didn't. They said they cared about me, but if they really did they would not have sent me away. Everyone said I should give them another try, but I didn't want to. I was only doing it because the man who saved my life said I should. I owed it to him to try. Because tomorrow would be better. Even if I didn't believe that myself, Mike did. And I guess that was enough for me to try.

Louis' POV

I woke up to the sound of a phone ringing. I recognized it as Liam's ringtone and jumped out of bed at he same time the others did. Liam ran to his phone and answered it as we crowded around him. I looked at the clock to see it was two in the morning. I couldn't make out what the lady was saying, but I knew it wasn't good. Liam started getting pale, which got me worried. Liam gave a small smile after a few minutes, which must have meant something good. He thanked the person on the phone before hanging up.

"Was that Nancy?" Niall asked.

"Yes." Liam said as he ran his hand through his hair.

"What'd she say?" I asked impatiently.

He sighed as he sat down with his head in his hands.

"Is it good news or bad news?" Harry asked.

"Both." He replied. "Which do you want first?"

"Bad news first." Zayn said. "It's always better to be let down first."

"There's no easy way to say this." He said as he sighed and looked up at us. "Jackie almost committed suicide tonight."

The words hit me like a wrecking ball. She almost died. Almost killed herself. I let out a whimper before collapsing to the floor and putting my head in my hands.

"You're serious?" Niall asked as his voice cracked.

"I wish I wasn't." Liam replied. "Nancy said that she was waiting for Jackie to come home and almost called the cops. But a car pulled up front and a man got out. Jackie also got out of the car and they both walked up to the door. The man said he had been driving across one of the bridges in New York when he saw Jackie sitting on the railing looking like she was about to jump. He quickly stopped the car and ran over to her. He was able to talk her out of committing and he drove her back to the group home. She also said the man told her Jackie had actually talked to him and told him she hadn't spoken since we gave her back. Not a single word. We really hurt her, mates. I don't know how we are going to make it up to her."

All of us were in shock. She had to spoken a single word in a year and two months and she had almost committed. We had almost lost her forever. After a few minutes of silence, Niall spoke.

"What is the good news?" He asked while wiping his eyes and sniffling.

"The man and Nancy convinced Jackie to come back with us." He replied.

I gave a small smile and looked at the other boys.

"You're serious?" I asked.

"Completely." He replied with a smile.

"Somehow, someway, we will make it up to her." Harry said.

"Agreed." Niall said.

"Eight days." Zayn said. "Eight days and we get to bring her back home."

We all had smiles on our faces thinking about how we were going to have a chance to make things right. We all headed back to our beds, but I laid awake thinking about Jackie. I thought about her sitting on the side of the bridge. I pictured it in my brain as tears filled my eyes. I could picture her sitting on the railing with tears in her eyes ready to jump. I could imagine her face filled with sadness and her eyes filled with hopelessness. It broke my heart. I couldn't get that image out of my head and I cursed my self for picturing it in the first place.

I wish she knew how much I loved her. I wish she knew I laid awake every night thinking about her. Thinking about us. Remembering how we use to be and recalling all the good memories. I wish she knew I could still remember the way her lips felt on mine. I wish she knew I missed the way we would fall asleep together every night. I missed holding her in my arms and kissing her forehead. I missed interlocking our fingers and holding hands. I missed the way she would blush when I whispered in her ear or told her how beautiful she was. I missed hearing her laugh and her voice. I missed how she would sass me and have a clever comeback. I missed everything about her. I wanted her back.

I wanted to show her I cared. Show her I loved her more than I have ever loved anyone else. Show her that she was wanted, but the boys and by me. The boys and I truly did care about her and I wish she knew that. We all wanted her back with us. We all wanted to show her we cared. No one in this world cares about her as much as we do.

And no one in this world loves her as much as I do.