Chapter 22

Chapter 22

"I'm Cathy, from the London child care and social service agency." Cathy said.

My heart beat quickened as I heard one of the boys yell to me and ask who was at the door. I ignored them, though.

"W-why are you here?" I stuttered nervously.

"I received a call that I was suppose to pick up Jacklyn Corbett because her foster family wanted to return her." She said.

I'm almost positive my heart stopped beating. I heard the boys ask again who it was, and when I didn't answer a second time, I heard them all get up and start to make their way to the front hall.

"Are you sure this isn't a mistake?" I asked.

"I'm positive." She said. "Wait, are you Jacklyn?"

I nodded as I heard the boys footsteps come to a stop behind me. Tears started to form in my eyes as Cathy continued looking at me.

"They didn't tell you?" She asked and I shook my head no as a single tear escaped and ran down my cheek. "I'm very sorry, dear."

At that moment I turned to face the boys with tears in my eyes. Even I knew my face clearly showed that I was hurt. The boys looked back at me in confusion. I couldn't believe they didn't even tell me. I felt hurt, anger, and betrayal all at once.

"You-you're giving me back?" I whispered as more tears streamed down my face.

The boys faces turned from confusion to realization in a matter of seconds. Cathy stepped through the doorway and stood before the boys and me in the front hall.

"Go grab your things, sweetheart." She said to me.

I turned toward the boys hoping for an explanation, hoping for them to say it was a mistake. But they looked back and forth between Cathy and me seeming speechless. I took off running up the stairs as Louis called out to me. I ignored him and ran to my room, slamming the door. I lugged my suitcase and backpack out of the closet and began packing.

How could they do this? They said they'd never give me back. They said I'd stay with them forever. Was everything just one big game to them? Did they like messing with my feelings and emotions? I thought they had really cared about me. I thought Louis had really loved me. But he probably just needed to use me to get over Eleanor. I was just disposable. He probably figured he could mess around with me until he found another girl.

And to think I actually opened up to them. I told them everything I've ever been afraid to tell my other foster families. I let them see my vulnerable side. I broke down my walls to let them in, and look what I get. It's like they're shoving everything back at my face. They're rejecting me, just like everyone else has. I trusted them. I thought for the first time since my parents died that I had someone to rely on. Someone to look out for and protect me. I guess I was wrong.

I was so hurt and angry, I ended up throwing my phone across the room. It landed by the window, and I decided I would just leave it there. I wasn't going to take it with me. I wasn't going to take anything the boys gave me. I finished packing everything I came here with into my one suitcase and backpack before making my bed and tiding up. I then walked towards the door of my room while taking one last look around. I would never be coming back here. I turned and walked out my bedroom door. I got to the top of the staircase and walked down without making eye contact with any of the boys. It would just make it harder for me.

"I'll give you a few minutes to say goodbye." Cathy said before exiting the house.

"Do you need help with the rest of your bags?" Harry said, his voice cracking at the end.