Dog

The Losers and the Marine, they got by. Jensen and Coug. worked in a local shop building toys for kids all around the City. Rogue and Clay took their chances in the streets making a living off of gambling and cock fights. Pooch and Calvin stuck to the shop working on cars and engines. Both would return back to the shared apartment covered in oil, grease, and god knows what, but neither ever complained. It got the money they needed to get by, the money they needed to get home. 

Tonight Coug, Jensen, Pooch and Calvin all resided in the apartment as Rogue and Clay went in for a local cock fight. As sexist as it was, Calvin of course cooked dinner for the Losers. It was really a nightly ritual. Every now and again Cougar would come in to help her, but normally she took on the task by herself. Now, as the boys ate, she sat against the window frame and stared across the city before her.

The poor streets were barely lit by the dim lighting and dancing fires. The Losers were fine and all, but god damn did she miss her boys. Constantly her mind would drift off to not only them, but their families as well. What would they say when she returned home? What would they do when they saw her and not the boys? Calvin and the boys were always together. With them gone, it was like there was a void in her life that couldn't ever be filled again. 

Taking a long swig from her beer, Calvin dropped her head against her knee and droopily glared out the window at the passing people. They had it so easy, they had no idea of just how bad life could be for them. Many had families, others had friends, either way there weren't many that were alone. But those strangers that resided in the shadows, watching as others laughed and lived, those strangers were who she used to be. That is until Walker had found her, that was until she met the boys, that was until she had an actual family. 

"Calvin." Pooch's voice called out to her. 

Quickly her head snapped around to find all of the boys staring at her. "What?" she asked back. 

"You're doing it again senorita." Cougar grumbled. 

They would always get on her case for zoning out. But it was what she did... Calvin was the type of person to worry about things. She needed to have a plan, to know what she was doing ahead of time. In the situation that they were in now, not knowing where to go or who to trust? Not to men chine being alone once again... It was a situation she didn't want to be back in. It was a situation she was all to familiar with. 

"Sorry..." Grinning slightly she waited for them to continue. 

"We were just asking what was in this?" Jensen asked. 

Pooch continued. "Yeah, its juicy, tasteful, lingering. It's way better than what you made last night!" She chuckled at his mere insult. "What is it? Chicken, beef, pork?"

"Dog." She grinned evilly. Instantly Pooch froze looking at his plate and her. With a gulp, he swallowed down the mouthful he had and remained frozen. 

The door burst open and in walked an irritated looking Rogue. Calvin had come to the conclusion that she wasn't the biggest fan of Rogue. He was ill tempered and made rash decisions for the good of himself and not the team. However, he was one of the Losers, and they were kind enough to take her in so how could she argue. Calvin would simply watch out for herself. 

"What's up your ass?" Jensen asked taking a drink of his water. 

"Clay is up my ass." He hissed earning a chuckle from Calvin. "The guy's losing it. He keeps talking Max, Max, Max. All we want to do is get home, why can't he see that?" 

Home. That word shook her to the core. 

"Lay off the guy Rogue. He's just coping with this whole losing thing differently. we all do it." 

"Whatever man, you're all missing the fucking point." 

"And Clay's the one losing it." Calvin barely muttered from her position on the window as she shook her head in disbelief.

"Excuse me?" He asked. 

At first Calvin was going to argue. She was going to stand up to him, to say something to his rude ungrateful ass. But quickly, she swallowed it down. This wasn't her team, it wasn't her place. Not to men chine she wasn't one for talking shit, Calving preferred to beat it. And she was more than willing to beat it out of Rogue. 

"Nothing." She finally muttered and turned back towards the busy city streets. 

"I'm getting real tired of this shit." Rogue finally let out a long calming breath. Then, as everyone else remained silent, he shook his head and disappeared into the bathroom. 

Soon enough, Jen, Coug, and Pooch all weaved their way back into their own conversations. Again, Calvin stuck to herself. 

When she called for the evac, she didn't tell Simmons of the Loser's survival. Calvin told Simmons it was just her, which meant he wanted her dead. But why? Why did her commanding officer want her and her boys dead? 

Suddenly, Jensen rose from his position on the couch and approached Calvin's side. Gradually, he was easing himself down and onto the opposite side of the window as her. Then, following her gaze, he too stared off into the busy streets of the city. "You think he can get us back?" Jensen finally asked. He was quick to watch her expression change, his hands tightening around the bottom frame of the window as his legs dangled outwards. 

A long breath escaped Calvin's lips as she rubbed her cold nose against her forearms. Tightly, her knees curled to her chest. "Does it even matter?" Her voice was shallow. 

Jen was taken back by this at first. "Does it matter? Of course it matters. We can go home."

"No." She immediately cut him off. "You Loser's can go home... my home died back in that chopper." By now, Coug and Pooch were arguing with Rogue about something to do with the food and what it was made of. Jensen however, waited for her to continue. "Once we get Max, once we get back in the states, you boys are done. You're back to your everyday lives as if nothing happened..."

"What do you mean?" 

She drug out the silence yet again, her grip readjusting around her knees. Then, looking up, her bright blue eyes locked in his. The moonlight from above gently shimmering from the glassy orbs. "You're target is Max, Max wanted you boys dead and that's what he thinks he got. But that extraction, I spoke to my commanding officer personally. He didn't know you boys were alive, he didn't know mine were dead. When they blew up 22, Simmons wanted me dead. And that's what he thinks he got. Once I help you get Max, and I will help you get Max, word will get out that I'm alive." She leaned forward getting closer to him as her expression grew more serious. "I want revenge just as bad as you do Jake Jensen. But mine doesn't just end with Max." He knew what she meant, he knew what she wanted. Calvin wanted to avenge her boys, she wanted to take down the man who ordered the air strike, Calvin wanted Simmons. 

 The door suddenly burst open just as it had done with Rogue. However, this time, Clay stepped in. He looked beaten up, suit torn, breath taken, and blood in the corner of his mouth. Calvin and Jensen looked directly across the room and locked eyes with him. "Losers." He called as a grin spread across his lips. "We got ourselves a job."