Chapter 14

Barry and Red stood on the boardwalk and waved goodbye to the crew. "We'll be back tonight," Red called out. "Don't destroy the beauty." Barry squeezed her other hand, fingers intertwined as they walked off to enjoy their day together. Red wore her coat properly, all buttoned except for one at the top, as it was much too tight when it was buttoned. Underneath the coat she wore a silver necklace, a eighth note pendant hanging from the chain. It was a going away gift she had gotten when she first sailed off, and she had cherished it since.
Going out to eat and then Barry's house, that was the plan. Where they were going though was a mystery to her, as Barry kept his mouth shut. "Please?" She pleaded, dying to know where they were going. Barry shook his head and smiled. "It's a surprise," he replied.
Red's mind raced with the options. Seafood? Maybe he was taking her out for sushi, she never had it before and she was always curious about trying it. Maybe a fancy restaurant, maybe fast food, maybe-
"Here we are," Barry said, motioning towards the ice cream parlor. She stared in awe at the building. The sign above the door read Ben and Jerry's. She had heard about the place before, the flavors, the quality, her mouth watered at the thought.
As they walked into the store, Red almost had a double take at the menu. It seemed to go on forever, there was so much to choose from. They walked up to the counter, a small man with piercing blue eyes and shamrock green hair running the cash register. "Hi, what can I get you two?" He asked in an accent Red seemed to take a liking to. She smiled softly at his accent and quickly looked over the menu above them. Barry took his order first, knowing exactly what he wanted so Red could get more time to order. Her eyes fell upon one flavor in particular, and she smiled. "I'll have a Chocolate Peppermint Crunch, please," she said. The man nodded and gave them their total. Red was about to pull out her wallet when Barry hummed, handing the cashier a twenty dollar bill and smiling. "Are you sure?" Red asked softly. Barry smiled. "Don't worry, it's on me," he replied, taking the two cups of ice cream and thanking the man. He passed Red her cup as they walked to sit at a table towards the back of the parlor.
"What did you get?" Red asked, watching Barry gather a spoonful of ice cream. "Chubby Hubby," he replied. Red beamed at the name. She had to bite her tongue to keep from squealing in the parlor, so she just smiled and gushed. "That's so cute!" She quietly exclaimed. Barry smiled at her excitement, pointing the spoon towards her. "Wanna bite?" He asked.
Red blushed and nodded, leaning forward so Barry could reach her. He fed her the spoonful of ice cream and smiled, waiting for a reaction. It was vanilla and crunchy, with bits of peanut butter and fudge. She smiled and hummed approvingly. "That's really good," she said once she had swallowed the ice cream, her mouth cool and full of the taste of vanilla. "Do you want a taste of mine?" Red asked, wanting to return the favor. Barry shook his head. "It's yours, you enjoy it," he said, smiling reassuringly at her.
The two ate their ice cream in comfortable silence, the occasional loving glance or smile and small talk. When they had both finished, Barry threw their cups out and went to go accompany Red, holding hands once more and walking back to Barry's house.

~

Red and Barry sat on the couch, Red laying in front of him and Barry snugly fit into the corner of the couch. As much as the two enjoyed watching the Star Wars movies, they could only watch them for so long before they started getting distracted. Barrys finger traced along Red's waist unconsciously, not realizing until she had shifted closer and he had to stop for a brief moment.
He could tell Red was getting restless, as she had started to shift a lot more. He remembered a show he had seen her talk about before, and he tapped her lightly. "Hey," he said softly.
"Hm?"
"Wanna watch Osomatsu-San?"
Red's face lit up as she turned around and cupped his face, smiling and kissing him all over. She eventually climbed on top of him, kissing his nose and cheeks over and over and squealing with joy. Barry couldn't help but smile too, enjoying her touch and the feeling of her lips on his skin, and her smile of utter delight.
After the wave of joy had passed, Red looked down at Barry, his face drunk with love and happiness. She managed to kiss his lips once more before squeaking out, "I would love to."