A New Hope [Kylo x Reader]

A/N: With this oneshot, I wanted to do something a little bit different. Often in oneshots, the reader knows that Ben Solo is still alive somewhere and insists that she be allowed to call him "Ben." In this one the reader is convinced that Ben is as good as dead and insists on calling him "Kylo Ren."

"Reason with him, Y/N. Please, just try to reason with him." That had been the plea of General Organa. "He won't listen to me," she had said. "I'm the reason he went to the Dark Side in the first place. But he might see sense if you show it to him." This was not an official mission. This was not mandatory. This was a request from a mother for the sake of her son. You were doing this for General Organa because she thought that Ben might still be alive. You didn't have the heart to tell her that you knew that Ben was gone forever, without redemption.

You approached Starkiller Base, not concerned with how you were going to get onto it, but rather what you were going to say to Kylo Ren once you were there. You hadn't seen him in years, but when you saw him last, you had had enough time to break each other's hearts. How he would react to seeing you again, what would happen to you, and whether you would even be able to land were all mysteries.

"We have you on our screens, now. Please identify," a voice came from the Base's Air Traffic Control.

"Diplomatic mission from the Ileenium System," you announced. "Ambassador Transport X-Wing requesting deactivation of the deflector shield."

There was nothing but static on the other end for a while, then the same voice spoke again. "We were not informed of any such mission from your system. State your identification."

You closed your eyes, trying to think. But you let your thoughts slip past your control, and suddenly, you knew exactly what to say. "Kylo Ren," you spoke to him. You somehow knew that he was there, listening. "You know who I am. Give me clearance, or I'll tattle to your mother about you."

More static. "...You... are granted clearance," the voice finally informed you, though it sounded reluctant. "Land in Hangar Two in the north quadrant."

"Roger," you confirmed. This was it. Either everything was going to be alright again, or you were about to wind up dead. No matter how it went, you owed it to Leia. She had been your saving grace over and over. She had pulled you out of more perilous situations than you could count, been there for you when Ben was destroyed and was the only Resistance member you knew who sympathized with your situation. Dying to help her seemed the best way to go about the entire death business.

You landed in Hangar Two, expecting an army of stormtroopers ready to take you as a prisoner. Instead, you were greeted by a vacant room. Wait, something inside you said. Not vacant. Someone is here. "Don't be a coward, Ren," you said aloud, knowing it was him. "I'm unarmed. which is more than I can say of you."

"It's been a long time, Y/N," you heard his voice coming from an ambiguous location. The muffled voice caused by his helmet made you grit your teeth. He was acting like a fool, parading around in his costume, determined to sever any ties to his past. Leia had asked you to come here because she thought you might know him better. For once, she was wrong. You had no idea who this man was who couldn't even show himself.

"Not long enough," you answered. "I didn't come here to talk to the air, Kylo. If you don't show yourself--"

"You'll tattle to General Organa about me?" Kylo finished. You could hear that he was behind you now.

You spun around to see him. For a brief moment, you expected to see Ben Solo's face as you remembered it. You were disappointed in yourself for forgetting that Ben didn't exist anymore, even for a brief moment. He was Kylo Ren now, and the mask that covered his face was a token to that. "You bet that I would."