Unspoken [Cassian x Reader]

requested on tumblr at imaginingthestars.tumblr.com

Request: The reader and Cassian are in love but they haven't told each other yet, bc the reader has her walls up and is not v good with dealing with her feelings but Cassian thinks it's the right time to say how he feels??

Warnings: Action Violence, Assassination

"I have eyes on him." Cassian handed you the binoculars. "Blue trench coat. You can't miss him."

Finding the man Cassian described didn't take long. He didn't seem like a detective- much less the most skilled the Empire had. "You're sure that's him?" you questioned, lowering the binoculars.

Cassian nodded and charged his sniper. "We've been tracking Minusso for six months, and every lead points to him. Now's our chance."

"I hate this job," you groaned. "All we do is track rumors and hope we shoot the right guy."

"Well, what are you going to do?" Cassian asked, peering through the scope of the sniper. "Ask for a promotion?"

Promotions were on the front of everyone's mind. Positions within the Rebellion were opening up, and the lucky few were getting them. Lieutenants like you and Cassian were hopefuls for the position of Captain.

What Cassian didn't know was that you were already promoted. All you had to do was accept it. The only thing keeping you back was the thought of leaving Cassian. For as long as you could remember, you had been side-by-side - fighting and caring for each other. "You know, if I didn't have you to worry about, I might," you answered. "Wait, don't shoot. We've got at least five stormtroopers about ten yards behind him and two more in that tower if I'm not mistaken. Our position is too dangerous."

Cassian lowered the sniper. "Alderaan has always been too occupied for my taste," he remarked as he stood. He looked up and down the mountain path you had trekked and concluded, "We've got to get higher up."

"Yeah, it's not like I'm already freezing," you muttered with a shiver. If only you hadn't left your jacket in that cantina.

Like second-nature, Cassian shrugged off his parka and handed it to you. Like second nature, you accepted it without hesitation. "It's not so bad," he said.

"Could be worse," you agreed. It could be. Cassian was warm, and he was always nearby. "Worse" could be doing this without him. But there was no point in bringing that up. "We could freeze to death on top of the mountain."

Cassian only rolled his eyes. "Higher up," he repeated and led the way.

There would have been nothing wrong with going higher up, from a tactical perspective. Unfortunately, Minusso's transport was there, hidden among rocks jutting up from the ground, surrounded by a small squad of stormtroopers and KX droids. You hid behind a couple of boulders before you were seen and waited.

"We're dead," you whispered to Cassian who was behind you.

"We're not dead until we're dead," Cassian whispered back. You could feel his hot breath on your neck. You would never tell, but it sent chills through you. "I say we wait here until Minusso comes back, finish the job, and get out of here."

You hated to admit when Cassian was right, but this time you had no choice. The minute Minusso returned to his ship, the two of you went up against the legion. Years of fighting side by side made the attack a matter of muscle memory. In a flurry of blaster fire, you wiped out all the Stormtroopers and droids. Cassian shot Minusso through the window of the ship as he was trying to beat an escape. The detective slumped down in his seat, dead.