For Good [Luke x Reader]

Summary: Luke and the reader were friends who, after Luke's training, simply drifted apart. However, when they're put together as partners for a mission, they must confront the past, but they won't do it on their own. It will take the guidance of the Force, an ancient bar-owner, and the weather.

The destruction of the Empire had not meant the end of the Rebel Alliance. With the new Republic, you couldn't go around calling yourselves rebels. That had to change. You were officially a part of the Resistance. The military force whose goal it was now to eliminate the remains of the Empire as well as stop the uprising of any new, evil government.

However, not all the changes had been political. It was funny... If anybody had asked you four years ago who your best friend was, you would've responded "Luke Skywalker" without hesitation. Now, you just weren't sure. Something had happened to Luke, and, whatever it was, it had changed him.

You had noticed the difference from the moment he had returned from his first battle with Vader, his arm cut off and replaced. He had grown quieter, more reserved. In a way, you missed the old Luke who was dorky and sweet and innocent. But you supposed that everybody had to grow up and move on. Even so, you still wished that you and Luke could be friends again, or at least have a formal break-off.

Of course, that was what you had to be thinking about during an important Resistance address by General Organa. You cleared your mind of personal concerns and did your best to focus completely on the matter at hand. "The truth is," Leia was saying, "we aren't hiding from the Emperor anymore. We have an opportunity to do things we've never been able to do before. We're already working to establish permanent bases throughout the galaxy so we can do what we were meant to do: help where help is needed. We'll be able to do things efficiently, with half the effort. That's why we've called this meeting. What we need are a few volunteers who are willing to go and negotiate with leaders and locals to accomplish this goal. Every team should consist of two: a pilot and a negotiator. I've given General Antilles a list of the planets where we need you most." Leia concluded and gestured for General Antilles to begin reading.

"Volunteers to Corellia?" Antilles questioned. General Solo and Calrissian volunteered before you had the opportunity to. The next place was the Ileenium system, but that didn't seem right for you. Neither did the next, or the one after that, and so on.

It wasn't until Antilles read out "Takodana" that you felt comfortable volunteering. "I'll go to Takodana as a negotiator," you announced.

"Who will go with General L/N to Takodana?" Antilles questioned the rest of the pilots.

I can go by myself, you thought. You wouldn't go against protocol, but you couldn't imagine anybody better to accompany you than solitude.

Your heart skipped a beat when Luke spoke up. "I'll go with Y/N as a pilot," he volunteered. That short sentence caused you to panic internally for the rest of the meeting. You weren't sure where everyone else was going. All you knew was that you were going to Takodana with Luke... alone. You weren't prepared for that.

After the meeting, you approached Luke. "Well, it looks like we're together," you laughed in the most awkward way possible.

"Yes, we are," Luke responded hesitantly.

You weren't getting anything done this way. Deciding to get to the point, you sighed. "Look, I don't know of a tactful way to put this... Maybe it would be better if we--"

Before you could finish, General Antilles walked up. "You two are the first out. You'll be using ambassador shuttle six-two-one in hangar four. When you arrive on the planet, ask for Maz Kanata. She's the one who can veto the entire operation. All the information you need is waiting for you in a packet on the ship. When you're ready." With that, he left you.