Starman [Poe x Reader]

Requested by QueenBitchPhasma! Thanks again for requesting!

Request: Both the Reader and Poe are huge David Bowie nerds, and that's exactly how they fall in love.

A/N: Of course, David Bowie exists in Star Wars! If there was going to be a celebrity to exist in Star Wars, wouldn't it be David Bowie? I mean, come on, people!

You collapsed onto the bench of the transport and put in your earbuds, hoping to drown the day in music. It was your last day on Hosnian Prime before you were shipped off to the Ileenium system, and you had wanted to make sure that you didn't waste it. You were up for some mandatory training with the Resistance, and living on a military base meant that you practiced efficiency. You had filed all your paperwork on time, but there were loose ends to tie up. All the politics that came with the Resistance would be nothing compared to everything you had dealt with on Hosnian Prime. Tying up loose ends could last for days, so it was a lucky thing you had gotten a head start. You had lost track of time from the moment you stepped into the facility to the moment you walked out. You had left late, and as a result, you had the transport to yourself.

The draining thing about the day was how real it was. You couldn't stand office work. It was monotonous to the extreme. Maybe the move to D'Qar would be a good thing... But for now, the only thing you had to keep the imagination alive was good ol' David Bowie. That man had become your one tie to an interesting world that wasn't all paper and numbers. Your favorite song, by far was "Starman." You turned it on on repeat and soaked it in.

The transport stopped at a via-point station; and if you hadn't looked up, you wouldn't have noticed Poe Dameron board. You had met him a month ago at that very spot and had talked every day since as you came and went. Your conversations were on a bizarrely personal level, considering that you had only known each other for a little while. You had skipped all of the basic pleasantries like asking what the other did for a living or if they had any family. Instead, you had gone straight to hopes and dreams and personalities. It was strange, but you enjoyed his company. He was the only person you had met on the planet who was willing to talk about all that.

"Hi, Y/N," Poe greeted you with a tired smile.

You took out your earbuds. "Hello," you returned. "You must have had a long day. You're here pretty late."

Poe took a seat next to you. "I could say the same about you," he pointed out.

"Yeah, I was doing overtime at work," you answered, shrugging. "There were a few things I had to finish up before I'm transferred off-planet."

Poe furrowed his eyebrows. "You're being transferred?" he questioned.

You nodded. "Tomorrow. It's going to be different, but, y'know, I'll adjust. In my line of work, you can't stay in a place like this for too long."

Clearing his throat, Poe pressed further. "So, what is your line of work?"

You hesitated. "I-- I'm probably not supposed to tell you, but I'm a defense strategist for the Republic. Well... I will be soon. I'm still technically in training."

A light lit up in Poe's eyes. "So, you're with the Resistance?"

You assumed that the hope that you detected in his voice was from a desire for confirmation about the existence of the Resistance. But there was some information that you just couldn't spill, no matter how handsome the face. "No," you lied. It was a peculiar feeling, hiding things from Poe, but if you were going to lie, you had to lie. You decided to take it a step further. "Honestly, I think that the Resistance is one big conspiracy theory. But what about you? What do you do?"