Chapter 1

I woke up with an aching throat and a running nose... Great. I slammed my hand down on the annoying alarm that I'd set for myself and slowly trudged to the kitchen where my father was reading the newspaper and eating breakfast as he did every other morning. Of course he'd read the paper, he owned Gotham Gazette.

"Dad, where's the advil?" I asked, my voice scratchy and a throaty cough followed. 

"It's in the top cabinet honey, are you feeling ok?" He questioned worriedly, his crystal blue eyes that I had inherited gazed over me in concern. 

"No, my throat feels like sandpaper." I croaked and coughed again. He came over and placed a hand over my sweating forehead. 

"Oh Katerina you're burning up. Do you have anything important going on at school today?" I shook my head and he pulled me into a hug. "You should stay home and rest today, I can take you to the doctor this afternoon but I'm running late for work so I have to go but will you be ok while I'm gone?" 

"Yeah... Can you bring some throat lozenges with you on the way home?" I asked hopefully and he nodded.

"Of course, for now you should go back to bed and get some rest before you get worse." He ushered me back into my room and kissed my forehead before leaving for work. 

I let out another violent cough and hunched into a ball, trying to get a little bit of sleep. I played some Panic! At the disco softly on my phone to help me sleep easier and it seemed to work as my eyes slowly drooped and I finally dozed into a somewhat peaceful sleep. 

A loud noise ripped me from my sickness-induced sleep and I groaned loudly. I turned my head to find that the noise had been my phone ringing, I answered and lazily held it up to my ear. My dad's voice rang through the phone as he asked how I was feeling. 

"I'm not feeling great but I am getting a little better." I answered before another cough escaped my throat. "Can't shake this cough though." I groaned. 

"You poor thing, you sound horrible! I know this is a lot to ask honey but I may have forgotten my lunch at ho-"

"You are hopeless." I interrupted him with a small chuckle. 

"You're telling me! Could you please be a kind human and bring it for me? It's last nights salad and it's still in the fridge. There is enough for both of us so we can have lunch together in my office and I bought the throat lozenges you wanted too." I sighed dramatically and smiled into the line. 

"You are lucky we're related you know that?" I joked down the line and I heard him laugh.

"I know, I know but think about it as an opportunity to wear that new outfit you bought?" He attempted to make the situation better. Although it was slightly surprising that he actually paid enough attention to know that I had recently bought a new outfit. 

"Ok, you sold me." I laughed but it turned into another cough. "I'm going to get some tea from that cafe down the road first do you want me to bring you something?"

"Could you get me a cappuccino please? That is the only place in Gotham that actually sells decent coffee." I had to agree, plus their tea range was amazing.

"Ok I'll see you soon." I stated as I was already getting ready.

"See you when you get here." He replied and the call ended. I took another pain reliever before I got changed, I slipped on my half red, half black jeans (Sorry to disappoint but she's not Harley Quinn... Although if that is really what you guys want I can change it?) and my black, long-sleeved shirt with 'American Horror Story' printed in red letters. I laced up my Doc Martins and brushed through the knots in my recently dyed hair. I had gotten it done at a fancy salon just last week, it was a dark red that faded to an extremely vibrant red. 

I grabbed the two tubs of salad, my phone and wallet before leaving my house, not bothered to lock my door because I knew that if someone was going to break in they would break the lock anyway. Gotham Gazette was only a short walk from our nice apartment. We had to mover from our home on the other side of the city after my mother passed in a tragic car accident a little over five years ago. I was only 11 when it happened and it messed my dad up pretty bad. Although we were doing a lot better now. 

I came to a stop outside the only nice cafe in this whole damn city, 'Cup at Joe's.' I opened the door and the cute bell on top let out a small ring as I entered. The cashier's head popped up from behind the counter and greet me with a smile.

"Hi, welcome to Cup at Joe's what can I get you today?" She asked politely.

"Hey, Can I get a large honey lemon tea and a large cappuccino with two sugars to go please?" I recited the order I had remembered on the way here. 

"Oh are you sick you poor thing?" She must have been able to tell from my hoarse voice. 

"Yeah just the cold you know? Hopefully the tea can soothe something." I smiled and laughed a little.

"Well the tea's on the house and I'll make it quickly so you can be on your way to get some rest." She gushed.

"Oh you didn't have to do that! You are so nice, I hope you have a nice day." Almost as soon as I finished my sentence she had my order ready. 

"It's my pleasure, now make sure to take it easy ok?" She sounded very motherly and it wouldn't surprise me if she had children of her own. I paid for the cappuccino and began walking toward the door. 

"Will do, thank you again." I called as I exited the store and just down the street to Gotham Gazette. As soon as I entered the building the receptionist immediately recognised me.

"Ah Katerina, your father is expecting you in his office." She called from her desk and I gave her a nod and smile. I took the elevator to the level my father's office was, I have been here so many times I could find my way to his office with my eyes closed. As the elevator doors opened I went straight to his mahogany door with the small gold plate reading 'Mr Alexander Ferdine' I softly knocked on the door, not sure if he was doing anything important. 

"Come in." His firm voice said from inside. I pushed the door open and saw that he was alone in the office. 

"Hey dad, I brought your lunch and your coffee." I announced, placing the bowl of salad and coffee on the desk and sat in the chair opposite him, sipping my still hot tea.

"See I knew you were useful for something." He joked and I playfully gasped.

We continued to joke around as we ate our lunch and sipped our hot drinks. My tea was helping my sore throat immensely.

Jerome book everyone! Yes, no, maybe? 

Gotham is hands down best show currently on television and I have wanted to write a book like this for quite a while (sorry I'm a little late to the party)

Ok serious talk now though... I can and could edit this so that she is Harley Quinn and I have a whole plot line that could totally work but it's only if you guys are into that.

Would you guys prefer longer updates less frequently or short updates more frequently? Choice is yours guys.