Chapter 25

Ed was quick to jump up and answer the door, me following cautiously behind him. He opened the door with his usual, bright smile and greeted a familiar man, who would have been slightly shorter than me with a girl younger than me behind him. The shorter man seemed to be somewhat happy to see Edward whereas the girl looked extremely bored and uninterested. 

"Hello Oswald, I thank you for doing this for my friend Miss Ferdine, it is truly kind of you." Edward thanks him before I have the chance to myself.

"What are friends for Edward?" He replied slightly playful, something I hadn't picked up when we had first met. 

"I do truly thank you Mr Cobblepot, I appreciate what you are doing immensely and will be more than happy to repay the favour," I added politely, putting my hand out to shake his. 

"Ah, Miss Ferdine! Katerina is it?" He asked and I nodded. "That name certainly rings a bell, have we met?" He questioned.

"Only once, briefly. My father was interviewing Miss Mooney quite a while ago and we met then." I informed him.

"Oh, yes I do remember that! you were quite the polite young girl, Fish liked you I recall, she offered you a position as an entertainer." I nodded. "And your father is the owner of Gotham Gazette correct?" I nodded again. 

"Great, another rich kid." She groaned before Oswald scowled at her. 

"Play nice Selina." He said, condescendingly before turning back to me. "This is Selina, she will be taking you somewhere safe." He explained.

"Nice to meet you." I attempted to clear an unseen tension between us but she didn't look to be buying it. 

"Yeah, yeah." She dismissed me and I didn't bother pushing it. 

"How have you been Oswald?" Ed attempted to break the suddenly awkward silence that had settled among us. 

"I have been well since the departure of Fish." He hissed her name like it was poison. "And you? Besides getting yourself involved in psychopathic kidnappings?" Oswald joked lightly. 

"Why would you do that anyways? Why not just let him kill her? One less rich kid trying to rule Gotham." Selina grumbled before being told to behave by Oswald. 

"No, no, it's ok Mr Cobblepot, I wondered it myself." I piped up and Oswald nodded to me apologetically. 

"I have explained it before, I couldn't let such potential go to waste, you are destined for great things I expect," Edward explained and I smiled bashfully, unsure of what to say. 

"Yeah destined to run her daddy's company." Selina hissed. As much as I wanted to ask what her problem was I didn't want to push it. 

"Well at this time that doesn't look like it is going to be possible." I replied, my mind drifting back to my father, was he still looking for me? Unaware that I had been saved? Did Jim tell him I'm dead? Oswald cleared his throat and my attention was brought back to the conversation at hand. 

"I hear you are quite the hero?" He stated.

"It was a logical decision, not a heroic act," I replied casting my eyes to the floor. 

"You probably knew that he wasn't going to kill you." Selina accused and I felt my blood boil, how dare she?

"I had no idea what he was going to do or that any of this was going to happen and I sure as hell didn't ask for it," I argued back calmly.

"Ooh Kat's got claws." She mocked me and I looked away, ashamed that someone two years younger than me was picking on me and winning. 

"Well we better get going, my driver is waiting for us and the longer we're here the more at risk you'll be," Oswald explained and I looked up at Ed gloomily. 

"Thank you, Mr Cobblepot," I said before moving over to Ed who also looked upset. "Thank you so much, Ed, I don't think I can ever repay you for your kindness and I will miss you." I thanked him with as much gratitude that I could muster. I took him by surprise as I wrapped my arms around his waist and buried my head in his chest. "I will never forget what you did for me." At the moment I couldn't care less about the darker side of Ed that I had witnessed and only saw the one who saved me from Jerome.

"I will miss you, Katerina." He said softly in my ear but I felt his figure shift and he held me slightly tighter. "Yes, do take care of yourself, Kitty Kat." From the shift of tone in his voice, it was obvious that whoever the other side of him was had taken over briefly. He pulled away and so did I and the look on his face told me that he was back to normal bringing another small smile to my face and tears to my eyes. 

"Goodbye, Ed." I choked out through my unshed tears.

"Goodbye, Katerina." With that I was shooed from his apartment, not having anything to take with me and I was guided to a car that was going to be taking me somewhere that I would hopefully be safe. 

Sorry, it's a little bit shorter but I thought it would be better to leave it here.