Chapter 42

Kat's POV:

The minute his vision disappeared there was a knock on my door, it was too soft to be Bruce's or Alfred's so I called them in with a soft "It's open." The door opened with a creak and Selina stood in the doorway.

"Kat, you're okay!" She ran over and engulfed into a hug, almost knocking me off my feet.

"Ah Selina heels!" I laughed, gesturing to my shoes.

"Sorry I just- I missed you." She mumbled into my shoulder. I wrapped my arms around her and squeezed her shoulders.

"I missed you more, I promise." I pulled away slightly and she looked terrified, for the first time I'd known her she looked purely horrified.

"Please don't tell me you're going through with this tonight." She drifted her gaze to my outfit.

"Selina I have to." I gave her a small smile. 

"No, you don't! We can leave tonight, we can get out of this stupid city and we can live in that little house you told me about! We can just go and not come back!" Her eyes were wide and her lips were in a straight line. She was serious about this that much was certain. 

"I'm sorry if I leave he will kill my father, and Bruce and he may still come after us. I can't risk them like that, I can't risk you like that and if that means he kills me tonight then I will die knowing that you are safe, and I will make sure my father gets you that little house and you can leave this city and its dangers behind." I explained with a reassuring smile.

"Katerina, please you can't leave me like mum did! You promised we would be safe and happy together! You can't leave me alone again." Tears had glistened in her eyes, the first time I'd seen her cry. 

"Selina, don't cry kitty come on now. We will see each other again someday, you will still have Bruce and my dad would love you. If I die tonight do not let it hurt you, you are a very strong girl ok? You are the strongest person I know and you don't need me to take care of you ok? Don't underestimate yourself." I wiped her tear and gave her a hug before making my way to the door. Fearing that if I didn't walk away I would break down in tears. 

I loved her like a sister, or how I'd assume sisterly love is supposed to be expressed. She was the little sister I never had and leaving her is tearing me apart. 

"Katerina?" She called in a small voice before a strangled sob. 

"Yeah, Lina?" I was the only person she ever let call her that.

"You were like the big sister I never had." Her voice was barely above a whisper and I turned around slowly.

"You were the best little sister I could have asked for," I replied with a nod and a smile that I'd struggled to put on my voice. "You are destined for great things kitty, don't let this city make you think otherwise." With that, I walked away completely, rushing down the hallway as fast as I could before the tears drifted down my face. 

I wiped them away, trying my hardest not to smudge the makeup I had only applied minutes ago. Alfred met me in the livingroom with a solemn expression plastered on his face. 

"Miss-" 

"I'm going Alfred." I cut him off with a tearful smile and a nod to reassure myself.

"Very well Miss, Master Bruce is in his room getting ready he should be down in a minute." He exclaimed.

"What? What do you mean? He can't come, it's not safe!" I retorted in a panic.

"It would seem the same statement applies to you does it not?" He looked at me dissapointedly.