Chapter 29

Kat's POV:

"I still don't understand the meaning of all of this." Bruce groaned as I dragged him down the hallway laughing. If I stopped laughing I would most definitely cry so the longer I kept myself occupied the longer I can go without having a mental breakdown.

"Come on Bruce, it'll be like when we were little! You can't say that you didn't love these forts." I exclaimed excitedly, looking for anything to take my mind off of my father and what he would have said at my funeral.

"I was actually busy-"

"Trying to do Jim's job? I'm very aware, but you and I need to take our minds off death for a little while ok? Or at least talk properly about everything that's happened because whether you like it or not, I'm now in your life and I care about you." I turned back to look at him and he gave me a small smile.

"Ok, I guess we can build a fort." Bruce tried to look as if he didn't care but I could tell that he was secretly so excited to build the fort. It showed through the childish glint that flashed through his eyes and a grin twitching at his lips.

"Good, because we were going to build one anyway," I smirked and threw one of the pillows at him playfully and with that we started working on the fort. We had set it up in the room I have been staying in.

We had successfully created a fort and I was pretty proud of it if I do say so myself. It was decked out in like a gazillion pillows and blankets and I felt like I was a little kid again.

"So Bruce." I started and he glanced over at me.

"So Katerina." He mimicked.

"How about we actually learn what's been going on with each other since I last saw you. It's been forever." I proposed.

"Ok, you first." He agreed and I thought of a question to start off. I didn't want to start with his parents as I knew that was a touchy subject.

"Alright, what's going on with you and Selina?" I had seen the two of them around the house a lot and there was obviously some chemistry that was between them.

"Selina? She's my friend, well at least I think we are." He replied, Selina wasn't one for friends it would seem, she had eventually warmed up to me but we were hardly close that's for sure.

"Well, I think she likes you," I smirked and his cheeks tinted pink.

"No, she doesn't. She just needed me for a couple of things." He argued and I raised an eyebrow.

"Trust me, she wouldn't have kept coming back if she didn't like you. I've seen the way she looks at you, she secretly loves you." I teased him.

"Stop it," Bruce muttered, his face as red as my hair.

"Bruce has got a crush!" I laughed and he punched me in the shoulder playfully.

"Shut up Kat." He looked down and a mischievous smile replaced his blushing face. "What about you, anyone you like?" My mind flashed to a guy with ginger hair and massive smile but I shook it off and looked back to Bruce.

"Nah, pretty hard to like someone when you're supposed to be dead you know?" I laughed to try and ease the tension and it seemed to work.

"I know what you actually wanna ask me, so just get on with it." Bruce sighed and the tension returned.

"Fine, I'm not going to tiptoe around it then. What happened that night?" I told him and he looked as if he had heard it many times.

"We went out to watch an opera and I got scared of the bats, don't judge me those things look creepy." I laughed just a little bit and signalled for him to continue. "Well we left early and decided to take a shortcut through an alley when all of a sudden this guy with a gun was standing in front of us, dad tried to give him his wallet and mum tried to give him her necklace but he didn't take anything. Before dad could do anything to stop him the guy shot him and when mum screamed he shot her too. Everything happened so fast and just like that the guy left, that coward left my parents in that disgusting alley like they didn't mean anything. I didn't do anything, I just stood there, frozen and useless. It's my fault they're gone, I should have just sucked it up in the opera-"