Chapter 43

Kat's POV: This is it guys Xx

I scanned the room for any sign of Jerome, hoping that he had stayed well away from my father and I was surprised to see that he was nowhere to be found. Everything seemed almost too peaceful. 

Alfred nudged me in my dad's direction nodding me toward him but I declined, knowing that he would cause a scene and I wouldn't be able to handle the tears. I kept at a safe distance from him, my eyes never leaving him as I made sure that the Maniax stayed clear of harming him. My gaze flickered toward Bruce, who was now mingling and keeping his social responsibilities. Alfred gave me a knowing glance and gestured me to his side. 

"You need to get him out of here, something bad is going to happen," I whispered demandingly.

"We are not leaving without you Miss Ferdine." He replied stoically.

"This isn't about me, it's about Bruce. If he stays any longer I can guarantee he won't be leaving alive." I hissed.

"I am aware of the dangers Miss Ferdine but I am not leaving you here. I can protect the both of you." He answered and I gave him a frustrated glance.

"Alfred please-" I was cut short by the sight of Theo Galavan conversing with Bruce only meters away. "Get him away from Bruce." Alfred looked at me incredulously. 

"Miss Ferdine, Theo is respectable-" This time I cut him off. 

"I mean it, get him away from Bruce right now." My voice was low and alarming. 

"Ah Bruce, there you are. I believe you are needed elsewhere if you could excuse us Mr. Galavan?" Theo's gaze flickered to mine and Tabitha seemed to follow, a smirk growing on her features. I gestured for Alfred to take Bruce and leave but Theo spoke before they could do so. 

"Well, well, who do we have here? Theo Galavan, a pleasure to meet you." He held his hand out for me to shake and I swallowed hard, taking his hand and shaking it politely. 

"A pleasure," I replied shortly, my masked face no undoubtedly covered in worry. 

"You look awfully familiar, doesn't she Tabitha?" He questioned her, the look in his eyes full of twisted sinister intentions. 

"She does, although it's hard to tell behind the mask. I must ask why on earth you're wearing one, it isn't a masquerade." I could hear the snarky tone beneath the sentence and I plastered a polite smile onto my face. 

"Some things are better left a mystery don't you agree?" I answered, trying to sound as confident as possible. 

"I suppose you're right. Well, I better leave you to it, enjoy the show." She winked at me and my blood ran cold. The dreadful siblings left with triumphant smirks decorating their faces. I was about to turn back to Bruce and Alfred but Lee's presence on the stage interrupted me. 

"Hi everyone, I'm Dr. Lee Thompkins and I've had the honor of being part of the children's hospital for five years. Thank you for your support and thank you so much for coming out tonight. Over the years we've had magicians come out and entertain our children and so tonight we have one of these magicians here for you. Without further ado, please allow me to present to you... The great Rodolfo!" The spotlight moved to see Barbra dressed as a magician's assistant and my eyes widened, it doesn't take a genius to guess who the magician was going to be.

"Get Bruce out right now." I pushed Alfred and Bruce to the door but they were both stubborn on staying put. "Alfred I mean it." I spoke seriously. 

"Relax Kat, look there's the magician." Barbra opened the doors to find Jerome in a costume and yawning comedically. 

"Greetings ladies and germs! I am indeed the great Rodolfo!" He bowed theatrically and my heart started racing. They need to get out of here. He began to perform multiple tricks as I tried fruitfully to convince them to leave.