Chapter 14

Katerina's POV:

After eating our dinner Jerome decided we would go back to the bedroom, honestly the only place I really see in this house. It was getting dark out so I retreated to the bathroom to change, much to his disappointment.

I changed into a pair of black pyjamas and tied my hair into a messy ponytail before re-entering the bedroom to find Jerome in the corner of the room, his face serious as his eyes glared to mine. "Heard you were trynna get away from me huh?" He asked his eyes stone cold and never leaving mine. 

He couldn't possibly know. Had Barbra told him? Had it all been a test like I thought it was at first. My eyes widened and my blood ran cold, my eyes moved from his and down to his hands where he held a shiny, silver gun. I could see my terrified frame in the reflection of the pistol as my mouth tried to form words. 

"What? I did-" I was cut off from my pathetic attempt at excuses by his small chuckle. The chuckle was soon to turn into a cackle as he held his stomach with the hand that wasn't occupied by the pistol. The gun hung from his finger loosely and swung slightly as he rocked back and forth in laughter. The gun looked to be loaded and as he continued to laugh I noticed his fingers slowly put pressure on the trigger and I swear my heart stopped beating. "Jerome no!" I screamed just before a loud bang rang through the air. 

I threw myself on the ground as I turned my head to see a bullet hole embedded in the wall I was just standing in front of. Jerome seemed to flip back to serious as he glanced between the gun and the bullet hole. Tears cascaded down my cheeks at the thought of me being the next thing to be shot at with the gun and he turned his attention to me.

"Kat I'm sorry... I was just messing with you. See? I know you weren't gonna escape or nothing!" He came closer to me and I screamed, not wanting him or the gun anywhere near me. 

"Please stop! Please just don't come any closer." I shakily said. His face looked somewhat concerned but I honestly didn't know what it was. 

"It's ok calm down-" 

"How can I be calm when you just almost shot me!" I argued and his eyes darkened into something sinister. 

"It'll happen again if you don't calm down." He warned and more tears flooded my eyes. Thank god I was getting out of here. I buried my head into my knees after pushing myself to the corner I was closest to. 

I could hear his footsteps come closer and I tensed my body, hoping to any god that would listen that he wouldn't touch me. His boots came into my view as I let my eyes wander up to see his towering frame standing over me, I pushed myself further into the corner and pleaded with him silently.

His hand reached down and I immediately tried to flinch away but remembered being in the corner. His pale fingers came in contact with my vibrant red hair as he put it behind my ear. Well I wasn't very religious anyway. He bent down so that our eyes were levelled and kept a hand on my jaw, his thumb wiping some of the tears away. 

"I'm sorry, I got carried away. Hell of a prank though right?" he muttered softly, his mouth only centimetres from mine as his breath blew across my still terrified face. 

"I-I almost died." I stated, my body shaking like a leaf and my eyebrows furrowing. He stood back up straight and offered his hand to me, to which I declined as I pushed myself up. 

"But you didn't!" He replied, trying to add humour as if he hadn't just threatened my life for a joke. 

"But I could've." I whispered, more to myself than him.

"Were you like this every time I threatened your life or just this time?" He asked as he walked away from me with a smile making its way back to his previously solemn features. The statement got me thinking though, how many times had he threatened my life?

Well first it was when he almost dropped a body on me... Twice. Then when he almost shot my father and I, after that was when he almost shot me in front of the whole cheerleading team, then once in my dream... Does that count? Oh well it does now. When I think about it I did react like this every time my life was risked but I have no shame in it because I know for a fact anyone else would act the same. 

"Yeah, can you blame me though?" I questioned back and he just laughed at me.

"Meh, I haven't even tortured you, you should be happy." He exclaimed as he looked back my way after laying on the bed. 

"Well yeah, I'm kinda happy about that I guess but I would still rather not have my life completely threatened." I stated. "But you know that's just a personal preference." I added. 

"Wow Katerina was that a joke! Who knew when you weren't crying over missing your dad that you were actually amusing!" Jerome teased me and I gave him a deadpanned look. 

"Thanks Jerome." I replied sarcastically but he only continued. 

"Woah, you're sarcastic too? Where is all this coming from?" He cackled madly at his own joke. I rolled my eyes but the warning glance he gave me stopped the action completely. He beckoned me over to the bed and I had no choice but to comply, I mean the guy almost shot me not even ten minutes ago!

I reluctantly took a seat on the opposite corner of the bed and tried to put as much distance as humanly possible between us although my attempt seemed futile as he swiftly tugged on my arms so that we were both laying beside each other on the bed. We were facing each other and so close that I felt completely uncomfortable but knew that if I moved he would only pull me closer. 

"How bout I put on my pyjamas and we get some sleep huh? I've got a big day with the boys planned tomorrow!" He explained before getting up from the bed and leaving to the walk in wardrobe that was right next to the bathroom. I didn't bother replying as I rolled onto my back. I faced the ceiling as a long sigh escaped my lips. 

Tomorrow Barbra and I are going to plan my escape.

With the single thought my mood was immediately changed for the better. I could handle him for just one more night right? It wouldn't be that hard. Plus he isn't that- Oh my god stop that Katerina.

He re-entered the room in a loose-fitting T-shirt and a pair of pyjama shorts with his hair slightly tousled, most likely from putting the shirt on. I assumed he got changed in either the bathroom or the wardrobe but I was too focused on my own thoughts to know for sure and quite frankly I didn't care. 

He jumped into the bed and threw the blankets over the both of us, forgetting to turn off the light. I offered to get it and got up to flick off the light, leaving the room in total darkness. I slowly tried to find my way back to the bed when I heard something behind me. 

"Boo" I heard someone whisper in my ear and I screamed bloody murder. I jumped so far that I tripped over the edge of the bed and landed on the floor, in darkness with nothing but the sound of Jerome's crazy laughter. He turned the light back on and once he saw me he laughed even harder, to the point where he was struggling to breathe. 

"Jerome what the hell! You're such a jerk!" I exclaimed as I cradled my now sore knee and tried to calm my racing heart. 

"I'm sorry I just couldn't help it." He continued to chuckled as I made my way to the bed.

"Now you can turn the light off." I pouted, digging myself into the covers. 

"You're such a baby." He stated before turning off the light and occupying the space next to me. 

I felt him go under the covers and I turned to face the other way, not wanting to look at him. I felt his muscular arm make its way to my waist and I shoved it off without hesitation. The action only caused him to wrap his arm around my waist tighter and pull me to his chest as I cringed in reluctance. 

"Goodnight Kat." He whispered in my ear. 

One more night. I thought, just one more and I won't have to deal with this again.