Chapter 16: Chilly Nights

~Thorin's P.O.V.~

I returned from my watch to wake up Sam who was taking the next watch when I heard him speaking to Chloe and Melody. I hid behind some bushes as Sam spoke.

"I want to speak to the both of you." Sam explained. "I never wanted to hurt you any of you. I just wanted the best for the both of you, which is why when you both imprinted I lost it. With dad gone I guess I automatically took the role and I felt the need to protect you both."

Their father left them?! How could a father do that? If any father did that in our culture they would be shunned.

"And you did a wonderful job." Chloe pointed out. "You've made your mistakes, but so have we. We all do. I forgive you, Sam."

"Melody?" Sam asked, waiting for her answer.

I peered through, getting a better view. Melody's beautiful long hair laid on her tanned shoulders. She looked as though she was in thought. I felt my heart beat even faster than before. What am I feeling?

"I forgive you, but please forgive me." Melody eventually replied. "I was the one who got us in this entire mess. If I had listened to you Sam we wouldn't be here in Middle Earth and I wouldn't be experiencing this painful imprinting..."

I just stood there shocked. For some reason my heart sunk at her words.
Sam and Chloe brought her into a hug. Melody seemed as though she was in pain from the tears her glistening purple eyes tried to hide.

"Don't say that." Sam said. "You've given us a wonderful experience."

"But Emily had to stay behind." Melody argued.

"Emily had to stay behind because she is pregnant with my child." Sam explained. "Besides we both decided it was for the best."

"Yeah, but Fili and Kili told me that Thorin wanted me to stay without explaining to them why." Melody then blurted out.

I mentally cursed. I should've known Fili and Kili would tell Melody. I should've told her myself that this journey would be too dangerous for her...I don't want her to die because of me.

"What?" Sam asked as I pulled away. "Why would he? You're very strong-"

Great. Now her brother is furious with me. Melody cut Sam off halfway through his sentence which caught me off guard.

"I was taken down by an arrow from a stupid orc." She reminded him. "I don't think I belong anywhere, not in Forks and most certainly not here."

I nearly jumped out, however I held myself back. They'll kill me for eavesdropping.

"Don't you dare leave us." Sam demanded. "And that's an order. We're family and we stick together. We're all we have left."

"Yeah, understood." Melody said. "I'm going to bed."

As soon as she laid on the ground I walked out to find Sam sitting by the campfire. Chloe had laid down next to the sleeping hobbit.

"I'm finished with my watch." I informed Sam.

Sam turned to face me with clenched fists. He slowly got up, however I held my ground.

"Why did you leave my sister in Rivendell?" He inquired as he looked down on me.

"I didn't want her coming." I confessed. "There are more dangers on this quest that are even more deadly then the trolls."

"She could've managed to get by." He retorted. "Did she tell you?"

"Of why you almost tried killing me? Aye, she told me that she imprinted on me." I replied.

It's something I hadn't wrapped my mind entirely around. But I remember when she told me that my heart soared, however she left before I could utter a word.

"She's devastated, and that's partially my fault." Sam said with a sigh. "But you have no idea the pain she's going through. I can tell she's fighting it instead of accepting it. Please don't make her suffer anymore."

"I don't understand my own feelings for her if that's what you mean, but I will protect her with my own life." I said in a confident tone.

"Well, you better realize your feelings soon because once we imprint with someone, we fall in love with that person...in the most painful and slowly manner." Sam snapped before taking his watch.

As he stormed off I glanced over at Melody to see her far off from the heat of the campfire.

~Melody's P.O.V.~

I tried falling asleep, however I awoke to the chilling winds of the night. I curled up in a weak attempt to warm myself, however that quickly failed. I then felt a warm fur coat being draped on my body. I glanced from over my shoulder to see the last person I expected to see...Thorin.

"It's a cold night and I thought you might need it more than I would." He explained.

"Thank you." I said with a small smile.

"No problem." He said. "I'll let you return to your slumber."

He quickly whipped around, not letting me speak. Why was he so brief with me? Although I appreciate how considerate he is with me. My heart ached as I looked up at the stars, trying to get rid of these feelings that I'm afraid I have.