Chapter 18: I Don't Belong Here

In the middle of the night, I glanced around to see everyone asleep. Thorin who was laying nearby me with his eyes closed.

If I go now, no one will notice that I left. I gathered my things and slowly make my way across the company. I noticed that Bilbo was grabbing his things as well.

"Bilbo?" I asked.

He placed a finger on his lips, indicating for me to be silent. I nodded. He silently walked towards me, confused to see me awake. "Why are you awake?"

"I'm planning on leaving." I whispered.

"Me too." Bilbo said. "Be quiet though, they'll hear us."

I nodded vigorously and followed Bilbo's lead, however we were caught by Bofur and Chloe who were both on watch.

"Where do you think you two are going?" Chloe asked.

"I'm going back to Rivendell and from there back home to Shire." Bilbo replied.

"I don't belong here." I mumbled.

"I get you're a little homesick." Bofur said in an attempt to get us to stay. "I mean that happens to everyone and you two are part of the company."

"No." Bilbo retorted. "You don't know what it's like to be homesick. You don't even have a home."

"Bilbo." Chloe scolded.

Little did we know that another dwarf was eavesdropping on our conversation.

"I'm so sorry." Bilbo replied hastily.

"No, you're right." Bofur replied with a sad smile. "We're use to living out on the road and moving around."

"Thanks for trying to cheer us up, Bofur." I spoke up. "But we aren't part of the company. Thorin even told us himself that we are a burden, I should've have come here in the first place."

"So you're going to leave Sam and me?" Chloe inquired. "You're only family?"

"You're better off with the company than with me." I blurted out, fighting back tears. "Back home I'm one of the strongest, however here it's a whole new ballpark. It's not the same, Chloe and I can't stand being near Thorin anymore...it hurts so much."

It was at that moment when I had finally accepted it. I imprinted on Thorin...and I have fallen in love with him.

"Then allow me to come with you." Chloe chimed in. "Bilbo, I have something to tell you."

"Hey, why is your sword glowing?" Bofur asked.

Bilbo looked frightened as he stared at the blue glowing sword. He then managed to choke out. "Something's going to happen."

"Everyone get up!" Thorin then yelled.

However it was too late, we all fell into down the hole into an underground cavern. I fell down on top of Thorin and I immediately scrambled to get up while my face heated.

"Uh, sorry." I said, casting my eyes to the ground.

"It's fine." He merely said.

At that moment I see ugly creatures headed our way and I heard Thorin mutter. "Goblins."

They violently grabbed us and shoved us along the bridges until we reached what seemed to be the lair with a huge, fat, and ugly goblin. He had a crown made of spiky thorns and a staff with a skull. He wore a rag around his waist and used his servants to get up, by crushing the dear life out of them.

"That's the goblin king." Balin murmured. "Nasty creature he is."

"Who dares enter my lair armed?" The goblin king boomed. "Thieves? Assassins? Who are you?"

"Dwarves and humans, your malevolence." A goblin replied. "Although this humans smells like a wolf."

"Dwarves and humans?" The goblin king asked.

"We found them on the front porch."

"Well just don't stand there! Search them!"

They searched through all of us, pushing and ripping everything they could find.

"They are in league with elves." The goblin holding a thing from Rivendell. He handed it to the goblin king who scoffed at the sight of it.

"Made in Rivendell, second age. Couldn't give it away." He said as he threw the piece.

We all glanced back at Nori who had argued that he was just taking a few things.

"You said just a couple of keepsakes." Nori protested to Dori.

"What are you all doing around here anyways?" The goblin king asked.

Thorin looked as though he was going to speak, however Oin stood up and made his way to the front. "I've got this lads, I'll handle this."

"No tricks! I want the truth! Once and for all!" The goblin king demanded.

"You're going to have to speak up. Your voice flattened my trumpet." Oin replied as he held up his flattened trumpet.

"Why I'll flatten more than your trumpet!" He growled.

He was about to charge at us when Bofur spoke up. "If you want information in the one you want to speak to."

The goblin king nodded his as if telling Bofur to continue and so he did. "We were on the road, well it wasn't much of a road than a path. Actually to think of it it wasn't even a path, more like a track. The point is we were on this road, more like a track, a path, and then we weren't.

"Which is a problem because we were suppose to be at Dunun last Tuesday."

"Visiting distant relations." Dori added.

"On my mother's side." Bofur added.

"SHUT UP!" The goblin king hissed, making the goblins cower in fear. "If they will not talk then we'll make them. Bring up the bone breaker, starting with the ladies."

His eyes were directly on mine and just as the goblins were about to lay their filthy hands on me, Thorin spoke up. He pulled me towards him as he did so, protecting me from the goblins.

"No!" He shouted. "I won't let you touch any of my company, including her."

"Ah, if it isn't Thorin Oakenshield." The goblin king said with a smirk. "I know a certain somebody who's looking for you."

"That's impossible." Thorin spat. "He's dead."

"I don't believe his defiling days are over." He chuckled. He then turned to a goblin. "Tell the orcs that we have Oakenshield."

Once the goblin left to send the message they brought out the bone crusher where the goblin king sang a tune about it. I was scared to death. I'm going to be the first to go.

My hand had found Thorin's and his hands intertwined with mine. He gave me a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, I won't let them hurt you."

At that moment, a goblin found a sword that was called the goblin cleaver which caused them to all cower back, including the king.

"That's the goblin cleaver! They know...it killed several of our kin." He then growled at us. "Kill them...all of them! Bring me their heads!"

The goblins began to attack us. I tried holding on to Thorin's hand, however our hands slipped from each other's grasp.

"Melody!" He cried.

I fought back using my powers, electrocuting and killing several of the goblins. However more and more of them rushed towards me. Sam and Chloe changed into their wolf forms, scaring the goblins.

"They're skin changers!" One goblin screamed.

I then placed a force field around the company to protect them. Sam and Chloe had my back, fighting off the goblins that tried killing me.

At that moment we saw a bright light and all the goblins fell to the floor. The light diminished to reveal Gandalf. Boy am I happy to see him.

"Gandalf." I gasped.

"Hurry along!" Gandalf ordered.

We didn't wait for him to tell us twice as we scurried behind him.