Chapter 30: He's Changed

"We will help, but not you." Thorin added. "I need you to follow me."

Without further objections, Thorin grabbed my hand and I followed him through the dark hallways. I heard noises, which would cause Thorin to tighten his grip around my hand.

Eventually we arrived in a giant room. The room had a giant golden bed with velvet pillows and blankets and a curtain around the bed for privacy, drawers, a vanity set, a bathroom, chairs, a fireplace and there was even a chandelier.

"Wow, my love it's so grand." I gasped. "And rather fancy, in fact very fancy."

"Good, I'm glad you like it." Thorin said. "Because this is our chambers and I must leave you for the moment, but I will return."

He gave me one last kiss before running out of the room. I laid down on the bed, looking at the ceiling as I awaited for Thorin and the others to return. As I yawned, my eyes slowly shut themselves.

"Alright, we got a campfire." Jake said as he rubbed his hands. "Any one got battle stories?"

The vampires one by one appeared in a heartbeat. I sat next to Jake and Emmett. After Benjamin started the fire with his powers, Garrett spoke up. "I happened to almost bite Custard, however the Indians got to him first."

"When were you transformed?" I asked Garrett.

"I was transformed during the Revolutionary War, I was left to die on the battlefield. A nomad came across me and drank my blood, assuming I was already dead." Garrett explained. "And that's how I became to be a vampire."

"That's interesting." I said. "Wow, you were in the Revolutionary War!"

"Don't mind this one." Jake teased. "She's a history nerd."

"Am not. I just love history." I argued.

"That's nothing, I've been around since 1,000 A.D." Kate boasted.

"Which makes me feel better about my age." Garrett said, joking around.

Kate punched him, using her electric powers which caused him to wince and fall over on the ground. At that moment we burst out into laughter. We had a good time that night. I turned around to see Chloe, standing the farther away from us near the meadow.

"Chloe!" I called out to her. "Want to join us?"

She whipped around at my words. Her eyes landed on the vampires around me. Chloe began to take steps towards me, however she stopped when she saw Rosalie whisper something in Emmett's ear.

"These two are bearable, but Melody's sister I can't bear." Rosalie muttered.

"Babe, I know. Just smile and act natural." Emmett whispered back.

"You know I can hear you both." I commented.

"Sorry, Mel." Emmett replied. "Rose isn't a big fan on your sister."

I huffed out a sigh as I turned back to see my sister walking deeper into the forest, away from us.

"That's alright. She doesn't seem to be a big fan of you guys either." I said.

Emmett and Rosalie both let out a chuckle. Did Rosalie actually chuckle at something I said?

"You know you're alright, Melody." Rosalie confessed. "You're alright."

"Alright? She's great!" Emmett exclaimed as he hit my back. "She's like a lovable little sister."

"Alright, allow us to tell the next story." Vladimir spoke up. "It involves that battle between our coven with the coven of the Volturi."

"Melody."

My eyes fluttered open to see Thorin. He was out of breath, however he was fine. I let out a relieved sigh. "Are you alright, my love?"

He chuckled. "I can assure you I'm fine, amrâlimê."

"What about the others?" I asked. "My brother? Sister?"

"They're all fine." Thorin assured me as he laid down on the bed with me.

"What about the dragon?" I asked. "Did you kill it?"

"Not exactly." Thorin replied. "It got away and is now in Laketown."

"WHAT?!!" I exclaimed, getting up at once. "Then what are you still doing here."

"It is none of our concern." He shrugged. "Our quest was to reclaim Erebor which is what we have done, killing that beast was the last thing I wish to do."

I couldn't believe what Thorin was saying. The Thorin I know wouldn't say such things.

"But Thorin, Laketown is in need of our help." I pointed out. "We can't abandon them in a time of need."

"What part of none of our concern did you not get?" He retorted. "I am King and I say that they aren't our concern. You're my concern, Melody. I need to protect you and our unborn child."

I smiled. "Of course, forgive me Thorin."

This was not him, it was the sickness that was taken over his body and mind. I remembered the first night we spent in Rivendell.

But still what if the dragon wakes?" Elrond asked. "And what's worse than that is that there is a sickness. Remember the sickness? Thror fell to that sickness, making him obsessed with gold and that same one drove Thrain to grief and insanity. Who's not to say that Thorin won't fall as well?"

I gasped at Elrond's words. I turned around and my eyes widened. Thorin! He was standing just feet away from me. His eyes were cast towards the ground.

"Thorin." I whispered.

His head slowly turned to face me. I nervously waited for him to say something.

"Melody." He said. "Do you believe what he says? Do you think..."

He trailed off as he turned around. His back was now facing me. Why is he asking me this?

"You can control it." I replied. "Don't let others get to you. If this sickness should come then battle against it, don't give in. I...I believe in you."

I believe he can battle it, this isn't him. I rested my head on Thorin's chest as his strong arms embraced me. I must help Thorin to snap out of this sickness, even if it's the last thing I do.