Chapter 27: Running Out Of Time

The next day when we woke up Chloe and I helped Sigrid make breakfast. We all ate together at Bard's small dining table.

After eating, the dwarves whispered amongst themselves, saying that they were running out of time.

"What if we don't make it in time?" Kili asked.

"Then this journey will be all for nothing." Fili retorted.

"We will get there, don't you worry." Thorin said.

Thorin then moved towards the window. His eyes widened as he stared out the window in awe. "The Dwarvish Windlance."

"You look like you've seen a ghost." Bilbo commented as he observed Thorin.

"He has. The last time we saw such a weapon," Balin replied, pausing in between. "the city was on fire. It was the day the dragon came. The day Smaug destroyed Dale."

I saw mixed emotions in Thorin's eyes. His eyes were still outside on that tower.

"Girion, the lord of the city, rallied his bowmen to fire upon the beast. But a dragon's hide is tough, tougher than the strongest armor. Only a Black Arrow fired from a Windlance could have pierced the dragon's hide." Balin explained. "And few of those arrows were ever made. The store was running low when Girion made his last stand. And he missed every shot he took. Until he wasted it all. The arrows were our last chance.."

"If the aim of Men had been true that day..." Thorin said as he turned to face us. "much would've been different."

"You speak as if you were there." Bard commented.

"All dwarves know the tale." Thorin said with a shrug.

"Then you know that Girion hit the dragon. He loosened his scale under the left wing, one more shot and he would've killed the beast." Bain argued.

Dwalin chuckled. "That's a theory story, lad. Nothing more."

The two men grow silent in disbelief.

"You took our money." Thorin said, changing the subject. "Where are the weapons?"

"Wait here." Bard said before he replied. 

Bard quickly came back with weapons. He placed them on the table and the company wasn't so happy with these weapons. I could immediately see the disgust in their faces.

"What is this?" Thorin asked.

"Pike hook," Bard merely said. "made from an old harpoon."

"And this?" Kili asked as he held up holds up one of the weapons.

"A crowbill, we call it. Fashioned from a smithy's hammer," Bard replied as he glanced at the dwarves. "It's heavy in hand, I grant. But in defense of your life, these will serve you better than none."

"We paid you for weapons!" Gloin protested. "Iron forged swords and axes!"

"It's a joke!" Bofur retorted, as he threw down an iron weapon back onto the table. The rest of the dwarves followed his example as they did the same.

"You won't find better outside the city armory. All iron forged weapons are held there under lock and key." Bard argued.

Dwalin and Thorin exchange a look that I can't quiet decipher. Balin sees this and quickly speaks up.

"Thorin," Balin said. "why not take what's on offer and go. I've made do with less, so have you. I say we leave now."

"You're not going anywhere." Bard replied rather hastily.