Chapter:7

June and Kiger's outfit http://www.polyvore.com/blue_barrel_racer/set?id=197445869

Several girls were ahead of me as I waited my turn to go. There was a small barrel racing competition going on about twelve minutes from where I was working. Finally it was my turn and the lowest time was 16.5.

"June Hazard." A man yelled. It was finally my turn. I took a deep breath and shot out. Around the first then second. My spurs gently touched Kiger's sides and he jumped for the third barrel and cut to it close but barely missing it.

I kicked home and Kiger's speed kicked in. We crossed the line and I pulled him up to stop. Finally they were talking then walked over to the ones waiting.

"The winner of this small competition is June Hazard." One said. I got off my horse and greeted him. I was paid five hundred as it was promised when it was promoted.

Once I got back to the ranch I've been working at for the summer I saw a truck parked in front of the house. I parked my new truck that I got last week next to it with my old trailer following behind.

I got out and went to unload Kiger. The screen door shut, startling me. I finished unloading my horse and closed the trailer. "Remember me?" The oh so familiar voice said. "You called me every hour for the entire summer except when you were sleeping. How could I?" I replied looking at him. He was dressed in jeans, a casual tee shirt and boots.

I was close enough to getting my trailer that I really didn't need to work anymore. "And if I'm correct you said that I could stop when I had enough to get me started." I said looking at him dead in his dark eyes.

"You did say that." He said smirking then continuing, "Only if you'll go watch finals with me." I thought for a moment. "What's in it for me?" I asked him as I smirkishly smiled.

"One second." He said before running back into the house. I was holding onto Kiger's bridle as I waited for him to come back out. Then from behind me I heard a snort.

I turned around and there was Ginger. Crap. No eye contact I'm good. I turned back to my horse and started to scratch him. Ginger snorted again as Bonner came out.

"Don't mind her she's been like that since I've got her." He reassured. "Shall we?" He said taking my hand. I let him lead me to wherever he was going with my horse trailing behind me.

When we reached the barn he took my horse and tied him up. "Did you win earlier?" He asked me going into the tack room. I stayed next to my horse as he came out with a saddle and bridle.

"Don't think I never ride?" He asked smiling. "I never said that at all." I laughed. He glared at me while smirking. "That's not what I remember."

"But that's what I remember." I smiled. He tightened the girth before starting on the bridle as I watched. After he had the bridle on he untied my horse and walked outside. I followed him and mounted my horse once out.

He mounted shortly after and led the way to a gate. He dismounted and unlatched the gate. "Go through." He told me. "And my horse?"

I got his horse as well and led it through the gate. He followed and closed the gate behind him as he was latching the gate I continued to walk my horse as his was following.

I looked back as he lifted his head, I could tell he said some choice words under his breath as he jogged up to the small parade.

He mounted the still moving horse and took the reins from me. "Thanks for waiting." He said sarcastically. "Any time." I replied as he moved in front of me.

Kiger started getting upset about fifteen minutes into the ride. He snorted and tossed his head. Then he started to act out. Bonner looked at me then Kiger.

"He never acts like this." I said before he reared knocking me off and running off. I got up with help of Bonner. "He doesn't know this land." I scaredly said.

"Don't worry we'll find him." Bonner said as he led me over to his horse. "Hop on." I got on behind the saddle then he got on. Two hours later he found him laying down and covered with slashes and teeth marks.

"Stay here." He told me as he slipped off and went to inspect him. I was trying to be hopeful but there was none when Bonner came back with his bridle.

"Sorry about your horse. If we never went on this ride it wouldn't of happened." He said leaning on the saddle. "It wasn't your fault no one could have prevented that it just happened without warning." I told him.

Then I continued, "at least I have a backup horse that's almost one hundred percent trained for it."
"Yeah. I'll get you back so you can go home and train that horse so you can compete this coming year." He assured me. I smiled and he got on letting me have the bridle.

"I'll bring the saddle by before the week's over with." He added. On the way back he let me lay my head on his back as we rode back to the house.

Once there I threw the bridle into the tack compartment and got in my truck to head home. As soon as I hit the highway tears tried to fill my eyes. The only thing keeping them from falling was the colt I had for a pro horse and the way Bonner handled the situation.

I pulled into the drive, the cattle guard rattled beneath my truck and trailer. Tonight I was going to clean it out for tomorrow morning. It was time to trade it in for my pro trailer.

Yeah sad chapter but it's going to be part of the turning point

Oh and remember the mystery man in chapter 5?
He's going to be revealed in the next chapter.