Chapter:22

Bonner took an old farm truck while he let me take his for shopping. His brother made him chaps for Christmas and I was going to get him a new hat. As I walked into Boot Barn with Sally, who was going to help me find the gifts I found several things for the guys.

"Here's the hat Bonner's been wanting." I said picking up an American brand black Stetson. "He's going to love it." She said. I checked the size and it was also the right size.

Then I bought him a pair of Lucchese boots and several pairs of jeans as well. Last but not least pearl snap shirts. I bought the clothes and had them gift wrapped because I was awful at it.

We walked out to the truck and put the gifts in the back. "Next stop?" Sally asked. "Brody said to drop by and get the chaps after were done shopping, he sent me a finished product photo." I showed her the photo of the chaps.

"Nice and they're already wrapped?" "Yes." I said pulling out of the lot. A few minutes later we pulled up to three b leather. I got out with Sally and were greeted by the boys.

"Grandma!" They both shouted. "What's up June? Here for the chaps?" "Yeah and I'm good." I replied to Brody. He went back in and came back with a wrapped box.

"Your crazy sneaking around like this behind his back." He said. "Honestly all this is for him." I told him. "I'll give you a ride home mom so June here wouldn't get into too much trouble." Brody told Sally.

I laughed and got in the truck. "I'll see y'all on Christmas morn and my grandpa is going to stay the night tomorrow so he doesn't have to drive that morning." I told them. "Bye June drive safe." Brody yelled as I drove away.

My phone rang in my pocket, luckily Bluetooth was hooked up. "Hello."
"Is this June Hazard?"
"This is she."
"I hate to be the one to tell you but your grandfather has had a massive stroke."
I hit the brakes hard. "He's at the hospital in the ICU." I thanked the person and hit the gas. "Call Bonner." I said in voice command. He picked up on the first ring.

"Hey June what's up?"
"I'll be home late tonight probably won't make it to dinner either." I told him trying to stay calm. "June what happened?"
"My grandpa had a stroke and is in the ICU. I've got to be with him sorry if you don't see me at all tonight."
"It's fine baby girl I'll bring you some clothes and food."
"Thank you Bonny." I hung up before he could say anything else.

I pulled up to the hospital and jumped out. The truck locked as I went inside. The ICU wasn't far from the door. "I'm here to see George Hazard. I'm June Hazard."

The nurse showed me the way to his room quickly. I entered and there he was. "Grandpa." I almost cried. "June bug come here sweetheart." I went over to his bed and got down on my knees.

"I'm afraid I won't be able to make Christmas this year hon." "It's fine grandpa I'll stay with you as long as I can." "The good lord says this is my time to fly away up to stay with him."

"I'll fly away oh glory I'll fly away
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away." He started to sing.
"To a land where joy shall never end I'll fly away." I added.

"I'll fly away oh glory I'll fly away.
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away." We both ended as the heart monitor buzzed. I laid my head down on his arm and cried there wanting him back. The door opened and a hand touched my shoulder.

Then several nurses and doctors came in. Someone gently pulled me up and into a hard chest. I knew it was Bonner by the clone he was wearing. My eyes were welled with tears.

One hand rubbed my back as his other held me close to him. "Want me to take you over to your ranch?" He asked. "Tomorrow." I told him. "Will his body be moved to the funeral home?" Bonner asked for me. "Yes so you and June can go home and get some rest. Don't worry he'll be fine." The nurse assured us.

I could tell Bonner nodded. "C'mon June let's get you home." He told me starting to move me out of the room. I laid my head on his shoulder still trying not to cry. Once we got to the truck he opened my door and helped me in.

He got in and I broke down. "It's ok June he's in a place where he won't hurt anymore." I continued to cry into his shirt. "Shh it's ok, it's ok." He buckled me in the middle seat to hold me close.

Once we got to his house his shoulder was soaked. I was tired and wanted to be held. He got out and got me out. He carried me bridal style up to the front door. Once inside he carried me up to his room and put me on the bed. I was too tired to even fight it. My boots slipped off my feet and then I felt my jeans come off.

He covered me up and took my shirt off and put something big over me. Then clothes rustled before the bed dipped. Arms pulled me closer to a warm body. I rolled over closer to him. His arms tightened securely around me making me feel safe and comfortable.

Hey I know I said this would be the Christmas scene, but I decided on a different lead

Hey I know I said this would be the Christmas scene, but I decided on a different lead. This did happen to me a few years ago. I lost a family member to a major stroke and even though he didn't die then and there he was in hospice for a few days.
I hope you are enjoying the book, please continue to let me know how good I'm doing.