Chapter One - The Start

Thank you to @shiningheart13 for the last name Merritt!

_______________

"This devastating fire at South Churchill Academy has no survivors with dozens of students, teachers, and other staff killed. Officials say that the fire was one of the most powerful ones they have ever seen but were somehow able to easily contain it. Luckily, the fire seemed contained to the school grounds and all outlining forests were not touched. More coverage--"

            Alex turned off the television in our small hotel room, scowling to himself. "This is the most ridiculous story ever," he mumbled, kicking off his shoes. "How would anyone believe something like that?"

            Cole, who was leaning against the headboard of one of the beds looking relaxed as ever, shrugged. "Gee, I don't know. Maybe because they have no other choice than to believe? It's not like everyone's first assumption is to think that two people with magical fire powers started this to hide a school full of other kids with superpowers." He rolled his eyes at his best friend. "You have to remember that not everyone knows about Supernaturals."

            Alex considered this before glaring at his friend. "It still sounds stupid, though. No natural fire that strong would stay in one place."

            No one argued with him on that either because he was right or we were all too exhausted to do so. We have been driving all day to put a good amount of distance behind us and Supernatural Abilities. I know they said that they would be covering it, but I didn't realize just how quickly they would be able to make up an entire, elaborate story full of so-called witnesses, emergency phone calls, and more.

            The three of us slowly began preparing to sleep. Claire, our other friend and would also be sleeping in this room, was helping my instructor Sophia with the girl who had been hurt. She woke up on the trip over and turns out her name is Jessa Merritt, a Water Supernatural. There were over a dozen of us who survived the attack that Katherine created, but the government decided it would be best if they told all of our families that no one survived. I didn't blame them because who knows if we would even come out alive after this? There were no guarantees so while taking the initiative and announcing our deaths hurt knowing my loved ones thought I was dead, I knew that if I did die, they wouldn't have to hear about it later.

            The thirteen of us who did survive were separated into three rooms that correlated with the cars we had driven down here. We had a few more days left of driving until we reached Washington DC where we would be meeting the ones in charge of the oh-so top secret Supernatural branch. What would happen after that? I had no idea.

            "Taylor?" I perked up at the sound of my name, looking over at Cole who was raising an eyebrow at me. After months of cheesy nicknames hearing him use my proper name still surprised me. "You okay over there? You seemed to be in Brain land."

            I rolled my eyes at his slang term for Mind, my own personal ability. There were six: Mind, Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and the rarest of all, Electric. With six abilities came six Supernaturals who are marked by Katherine as being the Big Six, the only ones capable of the strength it would take to kill her. Myself, Alex, and Cole were all part of that, each deeming our own Marks that branded us. The others, Mackenzie, Leona, and Will were all in their own rooms, most likely already taking advantage of the beds and sleeping.

            I was the closest with Cole, Alex, and Mackenzie, as the other two were not in my group of friends prior to the time we truly became the Big Six. With time, I'm sure my relationship will grow, as we all need to be able to know each other well enough to work together.