Chapter Twenty-Two - The Truth

Hey! Sorry for this chapter being SO overdue, guys! If you haven't read my messages, long story short would be that I've been so incredibly busy with work and school stuff that I've barely even had time to go on the computer to do homework. If I haven't replied to any of your messages/comments, please know that I'm trying to go through over a thousand notifications. I hope that this chapter was well worth the wait because a lot of excitement is coming up soon :)

RECAP:

A lot of things were running through my head. A bit ago I learned that powers were in the genes, but still extremely rare. All of our destinies began the night Katherine was hit with the lightning rod and all the powers ended up in her. With a lot of power like that, they couldn't be any repercussions so each person who was involved that night, the five Supernaturals, including Katherine, had children. Whose children had children. They each passed along their Supernatural gene six times to finally be expressed on our line, the one where all of us in the Big Six were born and were now the strongest Supernaturals out there. We were all descendants from Katherine or the Supernaturals she worked with.

Then something clicked in my head.

"Wait," I squeezed my eyes shut. "You're..."

When I opened them, I saw her nodding.

"Yes, Taylor. I'm your six time great grandmother."

________________________

Many thoughts began swirling around in my head. Of all things this lady had to tell me, it's that we're family? I didn't know how to react with information this big. Her blood and powers made me who I was today. In some ways, Katherine had a greater influence over my genes than my parents did. Who cares about whose nose I had when I got my Mind powers from the leader of the Catchers.

"Wait..."I found myself asking. "Is Mackenzie...?"

Katherine nodded. "Yes, she's a distant cousin of yours."

At least that knowledge didn't make me feel like vomiting. The little girl had no one, so maybe this would make her feel like she actually had a family even though our lineages were pretty far off.

"I've been watching you six for years, ever since you were all were born, but you two always fascinated me the most. My own blood running through you and Mackenzie's veins... Such a wonderful thing."

"If you were watching all of us, why didn't you just kill us right then and there? You know, to ensure that you'd still be in power," I pondered.

She looked impressed by my question as she leaned against her chair. "There was a veil of protection around every person down the line to get to you. That's why everyone who healed me only died after they had children. They needed to pass down the gene but after that, they were useless to the Big Six and didn't need to be safeguarded anymore. With you guys, I cannot kill you until you've reached your fullest power. Trust me, I've tried in the past and you just come back soon after. I didn't want to believe my vision--"

"You tried?" I asked and I saw Katherine freeze for a quick second, realizing she had slipped up. I eyed her for a second until I made the connection. "It was you," I whispered. "Jack was right, you did kill my mother."

She had the audacity to give me as sheepish grin. "In my defense, Taylor... I also wanted to sprout your powers, which I did. Your mother was a casualty--"

"You know, you sure know how to make a girl's life hell," I seethed. "You not only took my mother away from me, but also my father too. He was nothing when she died--"