Chapter Twenty-Three - The Change

RECAP:

The next time I woke up was due to a door slamming shut. Looking up groggily, I saw Katherine opening my cell motioning me upward.

"What do you want?" I asked, giving her an exasperated expression.

"I'm giving you what you want," she told me, leading me out of the room. Before I left, I gave Leona one more parting look as she worriedly stared back.

"Which is?" I inquired.

Her rainbow eyes found mine as a sinister look appeared on her face. "I'm showing you how I make Catchers."

___________________

The feeling of pure terror washed over me. Who was she turning? William? Alex? Mackenzie? I felt like my heart had sunk deep into the bottom of my chest. Could it be Cole?"

"Relax," she rolled her eyes at me. "It's none of your friends."

"Is that supposed to make it better?" I challenged. After all, some Supernatural was going to be losing their entire being today. There was no upside to this.

She looked at me from the corner of her eye. "Would you like it to be one of them?"

I gulped, feeling guilty when I told her no. If someone was going to be murdered, I'd much rather it was someone I didn't know rather than one of my friends. It weighed heavily on me, but didn't affect me as much as it would have had I known the person.

Katherine led me down a series of hallways, a set path in mind that didn't falter when Catchers would try to stop and talk to her. I felt an uneasy feeling in my stomach. This was something that I didn't know what to expect. Would it be gruesome? Frightening? I had no idea.

Finally, we rounded some more corners until we reached a set of white double doors. Katherine opened them with a flick of her wrist, leading us into a lab set up much like a hospital was. The Catchers there didn't seem surprised when they saw me alongside their leader as they worked on computers that displayed long pages full of medical words that I didn't understand.

"This way, Taylor," She told me as she continued forward, leading me around a corner.

We arrived at a set of glass doors that went into a room with a single hospital bed in the center. Around the edges of the room held many Catchers, each suited with a clipboard and pen that looked at their leader with admiration.

If I didn't know any better, I would assume that I was the one becoming a Catcher today. I was pretty much sure that wouldn't happen right now at least. We haven't been here very long and I'm sure that Katherine had a lot more planned for us.

"When are they coming?" Katherine asked one of the Catchers as she stretched out her arms.

"Whenever you're ready," They stated. "Shall I call them in now?"

"Of course," Katherine turned to me, her rainbow eyes shining as a sinister smile rose onto her face. "I'm sure our guest cannot wait another second."

A high pitch scream erupted from down the hallway. My whole body swerved just enough to see a young girl thrashing around in the arms of several Catchers. My body froze as I immediately recognized who it was.

"Jenny?" I whispered, my voice shaking. I thought back to the first time I met Mackenzie's roommate, how sweet and welcoming she was. I thought about how she was one of the few who survived, joining the Big Six on the journey to DC. She should still be back there with Sophia and the others, so why was she here?