Four

(Iris' P.O.V.)

Iris wished she could stay in Cedric's arms forever, but they both needed to get to their next class, so she reluctantly pulled away and sent him a small smile before practically running away. Her feelings were everywhere, and she wasn't sure if she should still be angry at him for last night or just forget about it.

She entered the Transfigurations classroom completely flustered, and slightly late.

"Nice of you to join us, Miss Maya." Professor McGonagall had a knowing look in her eye, and Iris didn't like it at all.

"Sorry, Professor." She muttered, taking a seat near the back.

~~~

Cedric saved her their usual seat at lunch, and after a moment of indecision, she sat down next to him. 

He looked up and smiled, "You feeling better now, 'Ris?"

"Yeah, much better." She answered quietly.

Justin and Hannah were watching them from across the table in amusement, and she didn't like it at all.

"You guys are such a cute couple. Cedric fills the part of worried girlfriend perfectly." Justin was trying not to laugh, and Iris shot him a look that could kill.

"You're just jealous because you don't have the balls to ask Hannah out." She retorted, not feeling in the mood for his teasing at the moment.

Justin flushed a deep red but still laughed. "Oh, so Cedric finally asked you out?"

"Ugh!" She jumped out of her seat and marched off, feeling as though there was probably steam coming out of her ears. She was so tired of being teased. Just because she and Cedric were best friends didn't mean that they could be teased about it. Plus, it hurt that everything they were teased about was what she really wanted in the first place.

She really did want to be Cedric's girlfriend.

"Iris, wait up!" Speak of the devil and he shall appear, she scowled.

She reluctantly slowed down to let him catch up with her and said, "What?" Then winced at how snappily it came out.

He looked a bit taken aback by her tone and stuttered, "I, uh, don't you want some lunch?"

Now that he asked, she was hungry, so she nodded, sending him an apologetic look and murmuring, "Sorry."

"Let's head to the kitchens then. The house elves will give us something."

~~~

Lunch with Cedric in the kitchens was nice. Probably because Justin and Hannah weren't there to tease them.

He told her about his plans to join the Triwizard Tournament, and tried to get her to join, but she refused.

"Why?" He asked.

"I don't need the money, and I'm not interested in eternal glory. I would much rather watch you compete from the stands." That was a lie. She just wanted him to be safe and hoped he changed his mind about entering.

"Well, at least I'll know that you're safe then." He didn't seem to realize the effect his words had on her as she turned away to hide her blush.

They didn't say anything more on the subject.

~~~

Dearest Cedric,

I don't want you to enter the tournament. I want you to be safe and sound here with me. Well, I guess I might be a little jealous, because if you become a champion, all the girls will be even more interested in you than they are now. I'm afraid that one of them will take your fancy and I'll be left behind as the best friend who was too much of a coward to tell you how she really felt. I want to be the one that you fancy.

Still, there is a part of me that hopes that you do get into the tournament. I would hate for you to be disappointed. Really, it's hard to decide if I want you to be safe or happy. I worry for you, Cedric. Sometimes I wish so hard that I could take all of your problems away that I wake up the next morning believing that they are really gone, only to be disappointed when I see you at breakfast. I want you to be happy more than anything.

Love Always,

     Your Iris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like chocolate pie. Bye.