Twenty-Six

(Cedric's P.O.V.)

He stayed in the hospital wing for a week, and all sorts of test were done on him. The summer break had begun and everyone else had gone home by now, but Madam Pomfrey demanded that he stay and heal more so that she could conduct several tests on him to see if there were any other side effects.

Iris hadn't left him, even though he knew she missed her family. Still, he was glad to have his best friend beside him for as long as he could.

Who knew what would happen next year.

Iris had basically moved into the hospital wing, and though she had set herself up in the bed beside his, she spent most of her time curled up beside him.

At night it was to stop the nightmares that left him trembling and sweaty. During the day, he wasn't sure why she stayed, but he liked having her read books to him.

Her sweet voice filled the hospital wing most of the time, whether they were simply talking or if she was reading him a book. Sometimes he just closed his eyes and listened to her in wonder.

The day that everyone else had gone home his eye had finally healed enough for him to open, and he was very disappointed to find out that Madam Pomfrey had been right. He couldn't see out of it, but as the week went on he found that he could see light.

Iris was a complete angel when it came to his newfound blindness. She made sure to always sit to his right so that he could see her easily, and if someone entered the hospital wing and he couldn't see who it was she quietly let him know.

When a week passed and Madam Pomfrey decided to detain him from leaving for another three days, he demanded to be allowed out of bed. Although spending all his time with Iris was very enjoyable, he missed fresh air and was very bored with all the reading they did.

They were allowed to go outside for a few hours the next morning, and Cedric was excited to finally not be cooped up inside.

The next morning rolled around and Iris woke him up rather late, telling him that they were allowed to go.

She helped him out of bed, as standing was still a bit of a struggle for him. Madam Pomfrey had told him that the Killing Curse had damaged his nervous system. She was unsure as to whether or not it would heal.

They made there way outside after telling a fussy Pomfrey to leave them alone as politely as they could.

Iris led him to a bench in the courtyard and they sat down. He put an arm around her and hugged her to his side.

"How are you, 'Ris? I know this must be really hard for you." He muttered quietly, leaning towards her slightly.

"I'm doing alright. Honestly I just want you to get better and for everything to go back to normal, but I'm afraid it never will."

"No, it won't." He sighed.

"Have you seen the papers recently?" She asked quietly.

"No, why do you ask?"

"The Prophet is saying you and Harry are liars. I suspect that they simply don't want to believe that he's really back. They're all just scared. But what they're saying is truly quite horrible. They're calling Harry some sort of lunatic with a severe need for attention, and. . .they say that the whatever curse you were presumably hit by addled your brain. I know it's not true, but it really upsets me."

For a moment, he felt angry, but then he tried to think of what his own reaction would be if he were older and was told by two young teenage boys that You-Know-Who was back. He wouldn't want to believe it either, although due to his good character could not validate smearing someone's name.

"It's alright. We know the truth, and I trust that they will know soon as well. He won't spend a lot of time in hiding."

"I suppose you're right, but I'm afraid we will have to deal with a lot of hate and prejudice when we come back next year."

"What are your plans for summer break?" He asked, hoping that she wouldn't leave him.

"I'm going to stay with you, wherever you go. Maybe towards the end of summer when you're better we can go to my house so that I can see my parents."

"Iris." He knew that he had to say this. Nearly dying had opened his eyes to a few things, and one of them was that there was no point in living with the agony of loving someone and never telling them. Either she would not like him back or she would. It was as simple as that.

"Yes?" She smiled up at him sweetly, and he felt his heart start beating faster.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Ced."

"No, what I'm trying to say is that ever since first year I've been completely in love with you, but I was an idiot and didn't realize it until this year. And I would really like it if you let me kiss you now."

She stared at him for a long moment that made his heart ache and his breathing stop. And then she simply said, "I'd like that."

So he leaned down to carefully kiss her, being sure not to bump his bandage and cause himself any pain. She kissed him back, gently pulling him down to deepen the kiss.

They pulled away and he whispered, "So, I'm taking that as a yes?"

"A yes to what?" She asked, looking adorably confused.

"Being my girlfriend."

A smile worked it's way across her face until she was grinning at him, "Yes, you idiot! Yes!"