Chapter One

I should be happy about this.

That was all Millicent could think as she let the seamstress poke at her with pins. Her seamstress fiddled with the fabric, readjusting the gown's sleeve. It was a beautiful gown, crisp and white. There were delicate little flowers that ran down the front and they fluttered as she moved. The beautiful, hand-embroidered lace hemmed the edge of her sleeves and full length skirt. It was a dress any girl or lady would be envious of, but Millicent hated it. The dress reminded her of the harsh fate she would have to face.

In just three days, Andrew Williams, a renowned Duke, was going to become her husband.

The seamstress's hand slipped, stabbing her again with another pin. Millicent flinched, pulling the tiny pin from her arm. The seamstress fumbled to help her, "I am so sorry..."

"Do you think we could finish this another day, please? I don't feel well." Millicent lied, putting her hand to her forehead.

"But miss, your wedding is in three days!" the seamstress said, helping her out of the dress.

"We can work on this again tomorrow morning. I promise." Millicent escaped from the room as soon as she was out of the heavy wedding dress.

She hurried down the stairs, almost tripping over the hem of her day dress. She just needed some fresh air to clear her thoughts. Millicent flung open the back patio doors, scaring the man standing behind them. She gasped in surprised, her hands flying to her throat as she searched for her locket. Once they had found it, she felt secure. Her mother's locket always made her feel less flustered. "Oh, my...I didn't see you there Andrew."

Andrew bent his tall, slim body towards her in a slight bow. "Good morning, sweetheart. How did your fitting go?"

"Fine."

"You appear flustered." he inquired, walking a few paces towards her, his deep brown eyes studying her face.

Millicent felt sick to her stomach all the sudden. She swallowed the lump in her throat and smiled. "I'm just nervous I guess. There is so much to prepare and..."

"Don't worry yourself over the preparations. Only worry about looking beautiful in your new dress." he leaned closer, tugging on one of her long brown curls.

Millicent pulled her head back, the curl falling from his hand. "I wanted to speak with you Andrew."

"I'm listening, love."

Millicent felt anxious now that she had received the opportunity to speak her mind. She had to do this, though. She couldn't put herself through a decision that she would hate for the rest of her life. Millicent took a deep breath before speaking, "I can't go through with the wedding. I thought maybe I could but I...I've made the decision not to. I am sorry. Please try to understand."

Andrew cupped her cheek with his large,calloused hand. "Of course I understand."

"You do?" Millicent felt hopeful.

"Yes, my love. You are just letting nerves get the best of you. I promise I will be with you every step of the way. You aren't going to be alone in this."

Millicent's heart dropped to her stomach. "What?"

"I take your claim to not wanting to marry as just simple nerves. We will still go through with the wedding and--"

"No!" Millicent pulled away from Andrew. "No, I meant what I said. I am not going to get married! I have never wanted to go through with this and if you suddenly think that...."

A loud slap interrupted Millicent's rant. It was a couple moments until she realized that Andrew had just hit her. Millicent touched her cheek, pushing herself up from the ground. Andrew crossed his arms. "We will be going through with the wedding."

"How could you..." Millicent, held her cheek, looking up at him with tears in her eyes. "You hit me."

Andrew's expression immediately softened. It was as if he had just realized the weight of what he had done. He shook his head at her. "You were panicking and I only brought you back to your senses, my love."

"No, you are a cruel man, Andrew Williams." Millicent ignored his hand and pulled herself to her feet. She lifted her trembling chin and looked into his eyes. "Good day, Your Grace."

"Millie, wait..." he called after her as she turned on her heel to leave.

Millicent ignored him and kept walking, trying to keep the tears from falling down her face. She would not let that man get to her. She would never let any man get close to her like that ever again.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved