Chapter Twenty Four

Millicent slipped her glove and stood in front of the mirror. Today, Theodore would asked her father for Millicent's hand in marriage. She couldn't imagine her father ever saying no to such a distinguished and rich man, but she was still worried. And after her father said yes, they still had to convince Mr. Ashton, Theodore's father. He hadn't been to keen on the idea of Millicent marrying his son. She didn't have any money and came from a poorer family than Theodore. She had nothing to contribute to in this marriage financially.

A light knock sounded on her door and Millicent opened into. Theodore scooped her into his arms, spinning her around the room, "He said yes!"

"What?" Millicent laughed, trying to gain her footing once he set her down.

"Your father! He is going to let us be married!" Theodore gave her a wide smile, his eyes full of excitement.

"Oh Theodore!" She wrapped her arms around his neck.

Someone cleared their throat from the doorway. Millicent peeked over her shoulder at her father and immediately stepped away from Theodore. She smiled demurely and gave her father a hug. "Thank you, father."

"Why didn't you tell me about this young man before?" He asked.

"I...well..." She looked at Theodore and shrugged. "It's a long story, father."

"Well I plan on hearing it one day." He patted her shoulder. "And I have very good news for both of you. Millie's grandmother has given the house to her. Millicent has inherited all of the money and the land her grandmother had."

"That's wonderful news, father. But..Theodore is going to inherit his father's land one day. We might not need the house." She said

Theodore wrapped his arm around her waist, "Until then, we can live here. When I do inherit my father's land, this can be our summer home."

"That's a great idea!" Millicent smiled. "Grandmother would have wanted me to keep this house for her."

"Then it's settled." Her father said confidently. He studied them both for a lo moment and shook his head. "I can't believe this day as finally come. Your mother would have been proud."

Tears formed in Millicent eyes. "Yes, I believe she would."

.....................................................................................................

"Oh, Millie you look so pretty!" Annabelle said in awe.

Millicent spun before her, letting her admire Millicent's mothers wedding dress. Millicent touched the delicate lace with her fingers, a tear dripping down her cheek, "I just can't believe it. I can't believe I'm getting married."

Annabelle wiped her friends wet cheeks and scolded, "Now don't go crying on me, Millie. You don't want red, puffy eyes on your wedding day."

Millicent wrapped her arms around Annabelle, "I'm so glad that I got to see you again, Annabelle."

"Me too, Millie." She returned the hug. She pulled back, fixing Millicent's hair again and fiddling with the dress. She stepped back and nodded. "There. You're ready now. We shouldn't keep Theodore waiting any longer."

"I'm just so nervous...

"Now don't go running out on the poor guy again, Millicent." Annabelle caught her hands. "Don't let the nervous get he best of you. It's natural to be nervous. This is a big step in your life."

Millicent nodded, feeling more confident with Annabelle here, supporting her. "I'm going to do this. I won't get scared because I know Theodore loves me. And I love him. This is the right thing to do."

Annabella placed the veil over her head and led her to the door of the church. "You ready?"

Millicent took in a big breath and exhaled slowly. She nodded at her friend, smiling weakly, "As ready as I'll ever be."

The doors swing open wide, allowing Millicent to enter. Her father came over and tucked her hand into his arm. He slowly walked her down the aisle, allowing her to take in the sights. Everyone in town had been invited as well as family from both sides. Even Theodore's father had attended, though he didn't seem to pleased with the wedding. Millicent took a deep breath and found Theodore's eyes. He smiled encouragingly as her father handed her off to him.

They both stood before the priest, waiting patiently as he spoke. Theodore looked at her out of the corner of his eye, "You look beautiful, Millie."

She blushed slightly, "Thank you. You look handsome yourself."

"Mr. Theodore Ashton, do you take Miss Millicent Thorne to be your wife?" He priest asked.

"I do." He said without hesitation.

When it came for Millicent's turn to say her vows, she stumble a couple of times, feeling nervous. The priest asked if she would take Theodore to be her husband. The room feel into a silent hush and Millicent could feel her heart beating loudly in her chest. She took in a deep breath, calming her nerves and remembering what Annabelle had told her. She turned to Theodore and smiled, "I do."

"I know pronounce you man and wife." The priest said. "Mr. Theodore Ashton, you may kiss your bride."

Theodore pulled Millicent to him and pressed his lips to hers. The crowd cheered loudly, clapping for the new couple. Millicent laughed as he tugged her down the steps and outside to the awaiting carriage. Annabelle stood there, holding the horses reins for them. Millicent ran to her, giving her a hug. Annabelle sobbed, "I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!"

"Thank you." Millicent pulled back, wiping her tears.

Theodore came over, lacing his fingers through hers, "Ready to go home?"

"Let's go. I'll see you soon, Annabelle." Millicent waved her goodbyes. She gave her father a hug as well.

"My best wishes to you and your new life, Millie." He said.

"I love you, father. I promise to visit you soon." She said, accepting Theodore's hand as she climbed into the carriage.

Theodore kissed her hand gently before climbing in after her. Millicent waved to her family and friends as they drove away. Once they went over the hill, the church disappearing from view, she sat forward and admired the view.

Theodore reached over and took her hand, "What do you want to do today, my love?"

"Spend time with you," she smiled sweetly, pecking his cheek.

"Mmmm that sounds wonderful." He kissed her hand again.

Millicent giggled and wrapped her arms around him as they tumbled down the road in the carriage. She sighed with content. She wouldn't give this moment up for the world.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

A lot of you readers out there having been waiting forever for this chapter so...here it is! I hope it made you happy that it didn't end all terrible and Millicent is actually living a pretty good life right now :). Vote and/or comment if you loved this chapter or this story in general! Thanks for being so patient and sticking with me on this crazy ride.

-Rosanna