Chapter Seventeen

Millicent sat before her vanity in her father's home, carefully brushing out each strand of hair. Now that she was no longer a housemaid, she had nothing to do but fill her days with leisurely activities. It was quite boring when you had no siblings to share ideas or fun times with. Her friend Natalie had stopped over a few times over the past months, but her friend was also a married woman with three kids. She was too busy to spend much time with Millicent.

"Millie?" Her father's voice startled her from the doorway. He smiled. "I didn't mean to startle you, my dear. I was wondering if you wanted to accompany me into town this evening?"

"Yes of course." Millicent said, excited for an opportunity to leave the house.

"Be downstairs at four."

Millicent looked at the lovely little clock she had resting on her vanity. It had been a gift from her mother. It was carved from a deep, rich colored wood and was polished to sparkle. It was already a quarter until four. She didn't have much time to get ready before leaving.

"Father, I apologize for taking so long I..." She began to say, but her words got stuck in her throat. "Andrew?"

"Good evening, Millicent." Andrew smirked from the doorway.

Millicent looked at her father, but his face remained stoic. "But..how? Why are you here!?"

"This is the greeting I receive after an entire year? Ouch." He placed a hand to his heart, as if wounded by her words.

She continued to glare at him. "How dare you..."

"Millicent, please." Her father stopped her. Millicent looked at him in shock. He was allowing this man to return to their home? Even after all the terrible things he had done to her?! Her father took her hands in his. "Please, try to understand. The Duke has promised a great sum of money. He apologized for taking advantage of you and deeply regrets it. Give him a chance."

"No!" Millicent pulled her hands away. She shook her head and took a step back. Her father didn't realize this man standing before had taken her virginity without her consent. She could never forgive that. Ever.

"Millie..." Her father began.

But she was already running back up the stairs, tears streaming down her face. She wasn't safe anywhere. Not even in her own home.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

I know, I know. This is such a short chapter, but I wanted to get something written for you guys. I didn't have time to write more so you'll just have to be patient and wait for chapter eighteen! :) ♥️

-Rosanna