Chapter Sixteen

Millicent wiped her face, shoving her remaining clothes into her small travel bag. Annabelle was silently helping her to pack. She lifted the gorgeous blue ball gown from the chair. "Don't you want to take this with you?"

Millicent smiled and handed it back to Annabelle. "Why don't you keep it? A little something to remember me by."

"Oh, Millie..." Annabelle cried, throwing her arms around her.

Millicent hugged her back before pushing the clingy girl off of her. She would miss Annabelle being so clingy and annoying. She picked up her bag and coat, heaving a long sigh. "Well, it was nice knowing you Annabelle. Goodbye."

Annabelle stood at the door, tears running down her cheeks. Millicent hurried from the house as fast as her feet would carry her. She was determined to leave all her memories behind with it. She would forget about Annabelle, the ball, and even Theodore. She would forget everything and start again. She had done it before, so she could be strong once more.

Millicent paused midway down the path to the stagecoach awaiting her to turn around. She wanted to take one last peek at the manor. She smiled, a tear slipping down her cheek. Millicent turned back around and headed forward. It was the only direction she could go as she started her new life.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Author's Note

I appreciate you reading and voting for my story! Thank you for all of the support so far!

Rosanna Parker