Chapter Nine

Millicent scrubbed at her face and arms before rinsing herself off in the wash basin. She tugged on a fresh dress and noticed in was a little bit looser than normal. She must have lost weight from all the working she had been doing. Millicent pulled her curls up into a tight bun, pining them into place. She still felt guilty that Theodore would be paying for her dress. Millicent promised to pay him back once she got the chance. For now, his generosity was appreciated.

After she had cleaned herself up, Millicent knocked on the library door. She peeked her head inside and found Theodore and Jane whispering amongst themselves. Theodore looked over at her and smiled, his blue eyes crinkling at the corners. "Ah, Millicent. Now we may get started. Are you ready to go?"

"Go where?"

"To town of course. We have to buy fabric for your dress." Theodore offered his arm to her. "Come along, ladies."

Millicent took his arm, liking the feel of her hand over his forearm. He led her from the room and down the grand staircase that she never thought she would get to walk down. Jane bounced down the stairs beside her. She was talking to her about fabric choices for the dress, but Millicent wasn't paying any attention. Millicent couldn't drag her gaze from the large, beautiful crystal chandelier. It drooped with heavy crystals, lighting up the whole room.

"So what do you think?" Jane asked her with wide, green eyes.

"Hmm? Oh!" Millicent snapped back into focus. She felt a chuckled rumble through Theodore and she pinched his arm in reply. "Yes, that sounds wonderful, Jane."

"I thought so too!"

Millicent leaned towards Theodore once she was out of earshot. "What was it she said?"

"Something about using green fabric for your dress."

"Green?" Millicent made a face. "That sounds atrocious."

Theodore patted her hand. "It will be fine."

Millicent exited the large manor, blinking at the bright sunlight. She climbed into the awaiting stagecoach and sat next to Jane. She moved her legs to make room for Theodore, who sat across from them. As soon as they settled, the stagecoach started to move, rocking Millicent into Jane. Millicent caught her balance and swayed with the rocking of the coach. Out of the window, the manor grew smaller until she could no longer see it over the hill. She settled back into her seat, catching Theodore's eyes studying her.

She felt heat rise to her cheeks and turned away. No matter how much she tried to ignore the man, he always ended up making her feel flustered. She didn't like that he was making her feel so nervous. Millicent had promised to stay away from those kinds of relationships .

She leaned towards the window as a good view of the town started to appear. She waved at the little children scurrying by as they rumbled down the street. Finally, they pulled to a stop and Theodore hopped out of the coach. He held out his hand, helping Millicent and Jane down. Millicent looked up at the dress shop before her and almost tripped on her way out of the carriage. Theodore steadied her with his hand resting on the small of her back. She nodded her thanks to him and made her way over to the shop, the little bell jingling above her head as the door open. Theodore stood behind her, looking over her head.

"Aren't these all pre-made dresses?" Millicent asked, stepping inside.

Jane lifted her hands in a shrug. "Surprise!"

"But they're all so expensive. I shouldn't...." Millicent began to say.

Jane shook her head. "Theodore and I talked it over before we left. We decided that this dress shop would have much nicer dresses than I could ever make."

"And I don't mind spending the extra money." Theodore added gesturing around the store. "Please, have a look around. Mrs. Elyanna Drake makes the best dresses in town."

Millicent moved to a corner of the store, fingering a rich, golden colored dress. She looked at the price tag and almost fainted. Even her father would never pay that much for a dress. She looked over at Theodore who was peering over her shoulder. He laughed at her expression. "Don't look so bewildered. I'll pay for whatever you need. It was I who invited you."

"Well...I never liked gold much anyways." Millicent squeaked, moving away from him. She couldn't breath when he was standing so close. She pointed to simpler looking blue dress. "I do like that. Simple and elegant."

Jane fingered the fabric, shaking her head. "Much to simple for a ball. I was thinking more like....this dress here." She lifted up a satin, sapphire colored dress. "It would look gorgeous on you, Millicent. You should try it on. Any adjustments that need to be done, I'm sure I can handle."

Millicent sighed, realizing she wouldn't be getting out of this argument. She nodded, "Alright."

Jane handed her the dress as they moved to the dressing room. Jane pulled the heavy curtain closed around them. She waited for Millicent to pull off her day dress before helping her into the ball gown. After it was on, Jane laced the back, checking the measurements on it. She adjusted the off the shoulder sleeves before stepping back in satisfaction. "There. It's perfect. You look lovely."

Millicent looked in the mirror, fingering the gorgeous fabric. "It is pretty."

Jane opened the curtain, pushing Millicent forward. "Theodore, don't you think she looks gorgeous in this dress?"

Theodore opened his mouth in surprise, struggling for a choice of words. He cleared his throat and nodded. "It looks like it was made for you, Millicent. Would you like to have it for the ball?"

Millicent brushed the gown with her fingers and nodded, feeling shy. "Yes."

" I will go speak with Miss Drake, then. Excuse me ladies." Theodore dismissed himself.

Jane led her back into the dressing room, helping Millicent from the dress. She left her to change back into her day dress, taking the blue dress with her so Theodore could pay for it. Millicent slipped her day dress back on over her head, disheveling her hair. She tried to fix the mass of curls that had managed to fall from what she thought had been a tight enough bun. Once she finished dressing, she gathered the box containing the dress. Theodore took the box from her, and she followed them out from the dress shop. For once, Millicent was feeling excited about the ball.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved