Chapter Three

"Miss Millicent Elizabeth Thorne is your name?" Mr. Theodore Ashton was looking through her application papers, thoughtfully rubbing his chin.

He studied her with sharp, icy blue eyes. They were steady, unfailing in their task to make her feel uncomfortable. Millicent fidgeted in her chair. "Yes. My father owns an estate back south. I had to move elsewhere for work."

"A wealthy, young lady like you comes out here for work as a housemaid? These are unusual circumstances." Mr. Ashton tilted his head, a piece of blonde hair falling out of place as he did so. "May I inquire why?"

"It is my personal affairs." Millicent stiffened, feeling self-conscious. "I believe it is none of your business, Mr. Ashton."

"Of course, of course." he waved his hand dismissively in her direction. "I simply want to make sure you hadn't caused trouble elsewhere and were sent away. I do not wish to deal with...."

"That wasn't the case. You can send my father a letter if you don't believe me." Millicent blurted out.

Mr. Ashton nodded to her. "Then it is settled. You may have the job. I expect you will start tomorrow after you are fitted for a uniform?"

"Yes, of course. Thank you." Millicent had started to gather her things when suddenly the door burst open.

Annabelle was standing there, huffing and panting for breath. She held up a delicate little glove in the air. She marched over and shoved it in Millicent's face. "I...I found your...your glove!"

Millicent looked at the scraggly little thing Annabelle had found. She was quite surprised she had found anything at all. Millicent gingerly took the glove and smiled. "Oh." That was all she said.

Annabelle put her hands on her hips and turned to face Mr. Ashton. "Miss Millicent lost her glove and I found it for her, sir!"

"I see that." Mr. Ashton looked like he was struggling not to laugh.

Millicent grumbled her thanks to him once more, gathering her things, as well as the glove. Millicent grabbed Annabelle's arm and dragged her from the room. She straightened her jacket, trying to get a hold of her emotions. "Annabelle, do you mind showing me where I might be sleeping?"

"Of course, its right this way!" And Annabelle was off again, without her.

Millicent huffed in irritation and hurried after her. If anything, this girl was going to test her patience. It was a challenge Millicent was ready to accept.  

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved