Chapter Six

Theodore stood there, watching Miss Thorne shake as she spoke to his father. What was she so worked up about? What had happened in her past that she was hiding? After she was gone, Theodore paced the room, his hands clasped behind his back. His father gestured to a chair near the fireplace, "Please, have a seat son."

Theodore shook his head, ignoring him , "What is she not telling us?"

"It is nothing of our concern. I do not mind ladies working here with a shaky past." His father crossed his legs, leaning back casually in his chair. Theodore opened his mouth to object again, but his father raised his hand. "This is a discussion for another time. Now, I wish to speak with you about your ideas regarding the women who sent you letters. What do you plan on doing?"

Theodore stook a seat, reluctant to change the topic. "I was thinking a ball would be suitable."

"When do you plan on hosting this ball?"

"In two months time, I hope."

His father studied him with cold, blue eyes. When Theodore looked in the mirror, he saw his father's eyes staring back at him. All it reminded him of was when his father used to beat him as a child. Those eyes were so full of anger. Theodore swore to never look at a child of his as if he hated them for simply existing. His father finally gave his consent. "I trust you will have someone chosen for a wife after the event, then?"

"Of course." The words tasted like acid on his lips. Theodore sipped his tea casually. "I will be ready by then."

Miss Thorne returned quietly a moment later with their breakfast trays. Theodore watched her nervously fiddle with the lids on the tray. She was trying not to mess up, trying so hard not to appear silly. Theodore felt humored by the sight, but also a little compassionate. Whatever had messed up her ability to be confident...it had to have been terrible. Miss Thorne curtsied once more to them before leaving for the last time. In that moment, he swore that he would figure out what had happened in Miss Thorne's past.

. . . .

Later that day, Theodore was sitting in his office. He had busied himself with writing invitations to the ball that would occur here in two months time. He wrote one to a Miss Roslyn Write and a Miss Penelope Sherman. One name specifically caught his eye. A Miss Millicent Thorne. The lady who was currently working in his manor as a housemaid. Theodore popped open the seal on the letter, noting it was written by Mr. Thorne, her father.

Dear Mr. Theodore Ashton,

I would write to you in the hopes that you would like to meet my daughter Miss Millicent Thorne. I know that she would make a good wife, if given a chance. Please consider my offer.

Sincerely,

Mr. William Thorne

Theodore stared at the letter in confusion. Was Miss Thorne's father aware that she was currently working here as a housemaid? And why would he being sending letters to offer his daughters hand up for marriage? Housemaids weren't usually looking for marriage proposals. To him, it looked like Miss Thorne had resigned herself to a life of work. Theodore rubbed his chin, trying to decide if it would be proper to still send an invitation. He made the rash decision to add her name to the list anyways. If her father sent the letter, it would only be proper to reply with an invitation. Miss Thorne could still decline if she wished.

Theodore nodded, content with himself. He leaned back in his seat, lacing his fingers over his chest. He was curious to see how this little mess would work itself out.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved