Chapter Twenty Eight

"Lad? Lad are you okay?" Someone was slapping at Theodore's face. He opened his eyes and rolled over, retching up water. The same person patted his back. "There. You're alright now, Mr. Ashton."

Theodore stared at the ground, trying to take in what happened to him. Hadn't he been dead? It had sure felt like it. He groaned, placing his hand to his head. He looked at the man beside him. He had bright red hair and ocean blue eyes, with a dash of freckles across his nose.

"What happened?" Theodore asked.

"That scoundrel Andrew and his brother tried to drown you." the man scowled.

"Why?"

"Oh I'm sure you know why. He's greedy. He wants Millicent and the riches you left her." the man explained, helping Theodore to his feet. "If you died...Millicent inherits everything right?"

"Only if my father dies." Theodore shook his head. He shot his head up to look at the man. "You don't think...my father...?"

"I'm sure he's already there."

"We need to stop him." Theodore stumbled forward.

The man caught him. "Woah. Hold your horses, Mr. Ashton. You're in no shape to go gallivanting through the woods. My men and I will handle this."

"I have to make sure my father is alright." Theodore insisted.

He couldn't believe he wanted to save the man that had scarred him as a child. Besides, if he died at the hands of Andrew...Theodore would get the estate. He would get everything. And Millicent would love that, right? He could give her anything she wanted. And he only had to sit back and watch the murder of his father. Theodore hesitated before turning to the man, "Go and save my father."

The man nodded and ran off, shouting orders to the men in the woods Theodore couldn't see. He turned away once the man was gone. He had a wife to get home to.

..................................................................................

Millicent scrambled to her feet at the sound of a knock on the door. Annabelle gestured for her to sit down as she hurried to the door. Millicent remained standing, wringing her hands in worrying. When Annabelle opened the door, tears came to her eyes. There was her husband. Alive and well.

Millicent let out a sob and rushed into his open arms, "Theodore you're okay! You didn't leave me."

He stroked her hair and nuzzled her neck, "Of course I am. I would never leave you."

Millicent stood back, holding his face in her hands. She laughed, tears spilling from her eyes, "You're all wet."

"That's what happens when you're thrown into a river and nearly drown." Theodore smirked.

Her eyes widened in fear, "Someone tried to kill you? Oh Theo..."

"His Grace Andrew Williams to be more specific." Theodore explained.

Annabelle came over and rested her hand on the panicking Millicent, "Millie. You need to calm down. Especially a woman in your state."

"Her state?" Theodore asked, worry crossing his features. "Are you sick?"

Millicent blushed and looked at the ground. "Well...I'll be feeling better in nine months."

"Nine months?" he looked shocked. That shock slowly turned into realization. "A baby? You're pregnant?!"

Annabelle smiled and nodded to him, "You're going to be a father, Mr. Ashton."

"Oh Millie! This is great news!" he hugged her to him, kissing her lips.

Millicent glanced at her friend, embarrassment heating her cheeks. Annabelle smiled and backed away to the kitchen to give them some privacy. She looked back at her husband, worry in her eyes, "You're really happy about this?"

"Who wouldn't be?!" he smiled, tucking a stray curl behind her ear. "I'm going to be a father. We're going to have a child. Our child."

Millicent wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him soundly. She smiled against his lips, "I'm happy, too."

..................................................................................................

Two days later...

"Here he is, Mr. Ashton." Millicent's father announced. His men tossed Andrew before them. He was bound and gagged. Her father crossed his arms. "Took my men a few days to catch him. He gave us quite the run for our money."

"And my father?" Theodore asked, wrapping his arm protectively around Millicent's waist at the sight of this man.

"He is safe and well. You are lucky my men got there in time. A second later and he would have been a dead man." he shook his head.

Theodore held out is hand. "How can I pay you? I can't thank you enough."

Mr. Thorne shook his hand and smiled, "My Millie's happiness is payment enough. You owe me nothing." he turned to Andrew. "Now what do we do with him?"

"I supposed the sheriff should handle him." Theodore suggested.

Millicent grabbed his arm, looking down at Andrew, "What are they going to do to him?"

"Hopefully keep him locked away." Theodore glared at the man. "And strip him of his title and riches. That is all they can do."

"As long as he is gone." she whispered.

Andrew snarled at her as they dragged him from the house, his brother following suite. Once everyone was gone, Theodore wrapped his arms around her, "I'm glad he is gone."

"I am too." Millicent squeezed her eyes shut. She peered up at her husband. "I love you, Theodore. I'm glad you're safe."

"I love you too." he pressed a kiss to her lips. He rested his chin on top of her head. "I love our child as well."

Millicent laughed. "You haven't even met him yet."

"How do you know that it is a boy?" Theodore pulled away, a challenge in his gaze.

"Mother's instinct. I just know." Millicent teased.

Theodore laughed. "Well, I know that I already love him. It's just father's instinct."

Millicent smiled and hugged him again. After everything had gone so wrong...everything had turned out so right.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

This chapter was inspired by my first few hectic days at school! Yep, school has started :) Sorry for those of you out there that have begun school like me again lol....and that very last sentence is basically how I felt this week. Everything fell apart before it was put together again and everything turned out good. So there you go. Now you know a story is not just a story. There is always truth behind it. Remember to vote and/or comment please and thank you! :)

-Rosanna

P.S. How to be a Housemaid has just gotten it's highest ranking yet! #21 in Historical Fiction! Yay! I'm so excited and happy! So thank all you readers that helped me reach that achievement! <3