Chapter Two

Millicent tugged on her baby blue bonnet, the one with the cute cluster of daisies on the side. Simple yet elegant. It was the one her father had bought her in Paris during his travels. Millicent smiled and gathered her bags. Speaking of which, she would be going on a little journey of her own. Not to Paris, of course, but to a little town called Stoneledge. She had found work there were she could start anew. She would go to work at Mr. Theodore Ashton's estate, which she presumed to be quite large. Millicent would only be a simple housemaid. A lowly job, but to her it was better than being stuck with an abusive husband.

Millicent shivered at the thought. She had hardly avoided marrying that horrible man. He had been abusing her for the past couple of months during their engagement. Millicent swiped at her tears, angry at herself for thinking he could change. She needed to get away from the man who had threatened to kill her father. That had been the last straw before she had run off to her father, tears running down her face. He had chased the foul man away for her, promising to sue him if he ever set foot on the estate again. The memory made Millicent shudder.

A small knock sounded at the door, "Millie, sweetheart? Are you ready? The stagecoach is here."

Millicent opened the door to her father's voice. She readjusted her jacket. "I am ready."

He peered over her shoulder, "What else are you bringing?"

Millicent turned to look at her single, small travel case. She let out a sigh. "I'm a housemaid now, remember? I won't need my party and evening dresses anymore."

Her father patted her hand. "Of course. I am sure you will enjoy your new life."

"Andrew will stay away from me?" Millicent was afraid to ask the question.

"Yes, I chased him off. No worries, alright?"

Millicent nodded and followed him down the grand staircase that she would grow to miss. She trailed her hand over the delicate railing as they went. She wanted to say her last quiet goodbyes to the only home she knew. Her father stopped once they reached the door and held her at arms length. Only then had Millicent noticed his age. His brown eyes had little wrinkles around the edges. His dark hair was gray. Her own father was becoming old without her even knowing it. Millicent pulled him to her, wrapping him in a hug, "I love you, father. I promise to come and visit on the holidays when I won't be working."

"I look forward to your visits. Goodbye, Millie." Her father pushed her away, handing her the travel bag. "Go and have an adventure."

Millicent stepped into the stage coach and settled in as the door shut behind her. She peeked through the window and gave a small wave to her father. He smiled back at her and waved as the stagecoach rumbled down the street. Millicent settled back into her seat. She enjoyed watching the scenery through the window change. She saw before her a busy little town with shops and homes. As they moved out into the countryside, she only saw fields and trees. Miles and miles of fields. It amazed her. The coach jostled, sending her bag tumbling to the ground. Millicent grumbled, gathering her things into her lap. This was going to be a long ride.

. . . .

Millicent jostled awake on her ride to the Ashton Estate. She stretched her arms, arching her back to loosen aching muscles. Millicent peered out of the window and gasped as they rolled to a stop in front of a large mansion. She lived in a mansion herself but this....this was enormous. No words could describe the beautiful sight before her. How much space did one man need? She stumbled from the stagecoach, thanking her driver and paying him a small fee. The man only tipped his hat to her before clicking his tongue at the horses. They trotted away from her, leaving Millicent to face the large estate on her own.

She took a deep breath, preparing herself for the long walk ahead. Suddenly, a small voice startled her. "Are you Miss Millicent Thorne?"

Millicent saw a small woman, only a few years older than her, standing at the gate. Her wild blonde curls were struggling not to explode beneath a white cap, her blue eyes curious. Millicent stepped towards the gate. "Yes. And who might you be?"

"Miss Annabelle. Oh, master is going to be so pleased that you have arrived. Come, I will bring you to him." Annabelle unlocked the gate and it swung outward, allowing her entrance.

"Oh...thank you."

"He will tell you the rules and guidelines about your work. You might not get a uniform until tomorrow, though. That is when you will start working. What job do you have?" Annabelle had rambled on for so long, Millicent almost didn't catch her question.

"Oh, um....I am a housemaid."

"There are ten others as well. He is always hiring because of the size of his place. It requires a lot of maintenance."

"I can image." Millicent replied, trying to sound polite. To be honest, she wanted the girl to stop talking. She was feeling nervous enough as it was and the maid wasn't helping matters. Millicent stopped in her tracks, letting out a long sigh. "Oh, my goodness!"

"What is it?" Annabelle asked in confusion.

"I simply cannot find my other lace glove!" Millicent looked around her, trying to act flustered. "You see, it was my grandmothers. It means a great deal to me."

"Leave it to me to find it, miss!" Annabelle shot off in search of the "missing glove".

Millicent chuckled to herself, shaking her head. Even if Annabelle was annoying, she was certainly entertaining. She hefted her bag and began once again on her long trek to the mansion. Every time she glanced up to look at it, the building never failed to take her breath away. It was impossibly big. Frighteningly big. But she wouldn't allow that to scare her. No, she was tired of letting things scare her. Millicent took a deep breath to clear her thoughts. She could do this. She would be a good housemaid, and this was how it would be for her. She couldn't run away this time.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved