Chapter Twenty

Millicent popped the seal on the letter she received. It was from her grandmother out east. She had written to Millicent because she was becoming ill.

Dear Millicent,

My time to pass is coming near. I wish to see you and your father very soon during my last few days.

With Love,

Grandmother

Millicent picked up the short letter and hurried to her father's office. She called for him, "Father?"

"Yes, Millie?" he peeked around a large bookshelf.

She held up the letter, "Its from grandmother."

He took the letter from her and read it, frowning, "We need to leave immediately. We'll leave tomorrow."

Millicent nodded, "I'll pack the bags."

"Andrew can do that."

"What?" she stopped at the door, staring at her father.

"He'll be coming with us, of course. I'm sure grandmother will want to meet him." her father explained, setting the letter down on his desk.

"Father.." she began, stepping back into the room. "Why are you letting him do this to us? Why are letting him come back?"

"Because...Millie I'm bankrupt. We need the money." her father pleaded for her to understand. He took her hands in his. "Please...just try to understand."

"No, you're the one who needs to understand." Millicent insisted. "He wanted to kill you. He took advantage of me. He needs to go."

"Who needs to go?" Andrew's voice sounded from the doorway.

Millicent closed her eyes, clenching her fists. "Nothing, Andrew. Father, please excuse me."

Millicent shoved past Andrew and hurried up to her room. Whether Andrew was being allowed to come or not, she would make this trip worthwhile. Her grandmother needed her and that's where she would put all of her attentions. Her father and Andrew were both just trying to be suck ups to her. Her father wanted her to grow close to Andrew, but it wouldn't happen. Millicent could never fall in love with a man like that.

......................................................................................

The stagecoach jostle and Millicent bumped shoulders with her father. Andrew was leering at her across from the stagecoach and her father was asleep. It was a miserable ride, and she still had three more hours to go. Andrew cleared his throat, "Millie I was thinking..."

"Don't talk to me." Millicent glared at him, crossing her arms.

"I want to apologize. For taking advantage of you that one night." he said, lowering her eyes.

She rolled her eyes at his little act. "It's too late for apologies. You threatened to kill my father, and I did what I needed to keep him safe."

"And I'm sorry I put you in that position."

"No you're not." she said. "Just stop trying, Andrew. You need to accept the fact you treated me wrong and I can't forgive that."

"I'm not going to stop trying. Ever." he said.

Great. That was just lovely. Exactly what she wanted to hear. Millicent turned to look out of the window for a better view than what was in front of her. She couldn't believe he was even telling her those things. He was "sorry"? He did something completely unforgivable. The only thing she could do was try to forget.