Chapter Four

Theodore Ashton started to laugh as soon as Miss Thorne and Annabelle were both gone. When Annabelle had shown her the lifeless little glove, the look on Miss Thorne's face was priceless. Theodore tried to pull himself together, wiping the tears at the corners of his eyes. Annabelle had seemed so ecstatic at finding the glove that obviously wasn't Miss Thorne's. Theodore settled back in his chair, forming his fingers into a steeple before his mouth.

Miss Thorne was...odd. Miss Thorne herself wasn't odd, but her past was. Her background papers had little information. For some reason she was trying to work as a housemaid. Though it was obvious that her father had enough money to marry her off to a good family. What had happened that would cause a girl to fall so far that she felt she had no where else to go? Theodore shook his head and tugged open a drawer on his old, oak desk. He stored her file away with the other employees's applications. Whatever it was, Miss Thorne didn't seem to think it was a problem. She even went so far as suggesting that he write to her father about it.

A knock sounded on the door, breaking Theodore from his thoughts. "Yes?"

A small head peeked in, "Would you like some tea, sir?"

"Yes thank you, Jane." Theodore waved her off.

The girl curtsied and hurried off to order tea for him. Theodore ran a hand down his face, staring at the pile of letters before him. His father had suggested that he start looking for a lady who could be by his side while he ran the estate. With his family being quite wealthy, many fathers were trying to desperately marry their daughters off to him. He needed to find a way to respond to all the letters. Theodore most definitely couldn't ask for individual visits from each of them. That would take much too long. Perhaps something they could all enjoy as a group. Maybe even a ball of some sort?

Theodore heard another knock and got up this time to answer it. Jane stood there with a tray of tea. "Please, come in. I have something to ask you."

Jane gingerly set the tray on his desk and poured the tea, adding two teaspoons of honey to his. Just as he liked it. She took a seat on the opposite side of the desk, where Miss Thorne had been sitting not moments before. "What do you wish to speak with me about, sir?"

"You know that my father currently has me looking for a suitable wife." Theodore explained, sipping his tea.

Jane nodded and smiled. "Yes and we hope to hear of someone soon."

"Well, let us say that you were looking to marry. Would you go to a ball as a way to get better acquainted to the man?"

Jane stared at her hands for a long moment, thinking on his question. "I think that I most definitely would, sir."

"Alright, then I plan to hold a ball here in two months time. Do you think that would be plenty of time for the guests to plan their travel?"

"Oh yes! Are we really going to have a ball?!" Jane smiled, clasping her hands. Theodore nodded. "I simply must go tell the others!"

She halted mid step out of the door, and refused to move. Theodore realized she was waiting to be dismissed by him. "You may go."

Jane turned to curtsy to him. "Thank you, sir!"

Theodore chuckled, glad that they were all excited. It had be many years since the Ashton Estate had any visitors, especially so many at once. The ball would be an exciting night for everyone. Theodore stretched his arms over his head, yawning. It had been a terribly long day and he was thinking of retiring for the night. Suddenly, a loud scream came from the hallway.

Theodore bolted from his office and hurried over to where one of the maids had dropped a tray of glass tea cups. On the ground lay Mr. Evans. Theodore cursed under his breath and dropped to his knees, checking for the old man's pulse. He let out a sigh of relief once he had found one. "He's alive. It's okay."

"What...what happened to...." Jane was behind him, shaking, her hands covering her mouth. She squeezed her eyes shut. "He just started to....it was horrible!"

"Sweetie, its okay." a soothing voice behind Jane said. He recognized Miss Thorne, standing in the hallway with her nightgown and robe on. Jane turned and cried into her shoulder. Miss Thorne awkwardly held her, but didn't reject the crying maid. "Shhh...it will be okay, see? Master Ashton said he will be fine."

"He...he looked like he...he was shaking everywhere and..." She buried her head into Miss Thorne's shoulder. "I couldn't do anything!"

Another maid had shown up during the commotion and she put a reassuring arm around the crying girl. "I will take her back to her room now, Miss Millicent. Thank you."

Miss Thorne watched them go before turning back to him. She kneeled beside the old man, stroking back his scraggly gray hair. "Is he okay?"

"Yes, but I think he had another seizure. I told him not to push himself to hard when working." Theodore sat back on his heels. "You don't think you could help me with him? I need you to get some water and bread for when he comes to."

"Of course." Miss Thorne got to her feet and ran off to go grab what he needed. She stopped half way down the hallway before turning back. "Where is the kitchen?"

"Just keep going down this hallway and..."Theodore paused for a breath as he hefted Mr. Evan's up from the floor. "Turn right. You will see the kitchen, second door on the left."

Miss Thorne nodded and took off again, this time knowing her destination. Theodore shook his head. First night on the job and he already had her running all over the place. Theodore hefted Mr. Evan's upright again before pulling the old man back into his room. He placed the old man on his bed. He removed the man's boots and pulled the covers over him. Miss Thorne was back moments later with a wet rag, a cup of water, and some bread. She set them on the bedside table and placed the rag on his forehead. She took a seat at the edge of the bed, fiddling with her long hair, "He will wake soon?"

"Yes, he usually does after a few minutes. I am sure he will be tired enough to fall asleep again, though." Theodore explained, studying the scene from a distance. It was almost as if Miss Thorne belonged there with Mr. Evans, watching over him.

She stroked his hair lightly, noticing that he was stirring. "Mr. Evans? Shhh, it is alright."

Mr. Evans reached for her hand, encasing it in his own. "Mindy?"

Miss Thorne turned to look at him in confusion. Theodore shook his head. "His wife. She died last year."

"Oh." pain filled Miss Thorne's chocolate brown eyes. She touched the old man's cheek. "No, I am not Mindy. My name is Millicent."

"Millie."

"Yes, I'm Millie. Would you like some water? Here, i brought you bread." Miss Thorne held the cup to the old man's lips, lifting his head so he could drink.

He pushed the cup away. "No more."

"Alright then. You must rest, okay?"

Mr. Evans nodded, closing his eyes again. Miss Thorne held onto his hand until he was asleep. Theodore ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry, Miss Thorne. I didn't think your first day would go like this."

"No, it is okay. As long as he is alright." she smiled sweetly in the direction of the old man. She nodded to the door. "I should retire now. Goodnight, Mr. Ashton."

"Of course. Goodnight."

She smiled at him, exhaustion etched into her features, before leaving the room. Theodore studied Mr. Evans old, wrinkled face, trying to decide what to do. He knew he should have him retire from his work, but Mr. Evans had no other home than here.  He had been a loyal handyman in the mansion throughout the years.  Theodore also knew he most definitely couldn't keep working in his condition, though. He would speak about it with father tomorrow. For now, he needed to go to bed as well. He felt bone tired.

Theodore took one last peek to make sure the man was okay. He then closed the creaky door, a silent goodnight escaping his lips.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved