XVII

Kimi sighed, closing the laptop and resting her head on the island counter. Sasuke had left his laptop with her for the day so she could search for any possible jobs, but so far she wasn't having much luck. Everything she saw, she was either unqualified for or didn't have the benefits she was hoping for. She had been searching for hours, and it was becoming increasingly annoying and even frustrating that she had yet to find something.

She again sighed, sitting up resting her chin in her palm. She wanted to be out of Sasuke's hair as soon as possible, but the way things were going so far, it didn't look like that would be happening as quickly as she had hoped.

"What are you sighing about?"

Kimi immediately sat up and turned her attention to the voice. Sasuke was just coming in, sliding his dress shoes off and closing and locking the door behind him. His blazer that he had worn this morning was off and tucked in the crook of his arm and papers were in his hand.

"You're back early," she observed, glancing at the time on the stove across the kitchen. It was only quarter to five. Usually he would be home around six or seven—well, she couldn't really say usually, as she'd only been with him for a week, but the times he had come to her apartment, when it was still her apartment, he would show around seven.

"I try to go in earlier on Fridays, so I can leave earlier."

"Oh..."

"What were you sighing about?" he repeated his previous question.

"It's nothing."

Sauske shot her a knowing look, causing the young woman to let out yet another sigh. "I didn't have much luck looking for something to do..." she admitted quietly.

"It's only been a week, Kimi."

"I know, but I want to be out of your way as soon as possible. I know it must be annoying to have me and Ranmaru in your space."

"You're annoying." Sasuke stated as if it were a simple known fact.

"What?" Kimi asked, her brows furrowed.

"You heard me," he said, making his way over to where she sat. He situated himself between Kimi and the bar stool adjacent from her, draping his blazer on the back of the chair and dropping his papers onto the counter. He rested his elbow on the counter and leaned forward towards the dark haired woman. Even if she was sitting on the high bar stool, Sasuke was still a good few inches taller, so he had to lean over in order to be eyelevel with her.

"Even now, you still continue to assume you and your son are burdening me," he continued, his dark eyes narrowing. "You know what a burden to me really is?" When she didn't answer, he repeated the question.

Kimi leaned back slightly and asked, "What?"

"Me having to keep telling you that you're not a bother."

He moved closer, his eyes still holding their hardened look. "How long has it been, three months? Four? Why would you even be here right now if you were such a burden?" He continued to roll out questions left and right, his tone becoming sharper with each one. "Do you really think that I'd keep someone around me who was a burden to me? Do you really think I just help out anyone? Do you?!"

Kimi's brows furrowed, her face contorting in anger. "How am I supposed to know?"

Sasuke let out a frustrated sigh and raised his hand to run through his hair, but stopped when he saw the woman flinch away almost falling out of her seat. His reflexes kicking in, he reached the same arm out and wrapped it around her torso, effectively steadying her.

"Kimi, why did you...did you...?" His brows furrowed as he studied the woman's face, it was strained and there was a hint of panic in those honey brown eyes. "Did you think I was going to hit you?"

She looked down, not wanting to meet his eyes. "No, I-"

"Don't lie to me."

"I...I'm sorry."

"I don't hit women, ever." He stated strongly. "Especially not those I care for."

Kimi froze. Had she heard right? Did he just say he cared for her? No. He must have said something else and her brain interpreted it as something else, must have. But...

"What did you say?" she asked, looking back up. His eyes were pool of never ending black, and they bore into her with such intensity.

"You heard me."

Kimi shook her head, and bit her lip. Her thoughts were jumbled, she didn't know what to say or think. This was strange...This stoic and arrogant man said he cared for her, her. She placed her free hand over her chest that felt like it was tightening. Her brows knit together as she stared down at her feet. In what way did he care for her, as a friend, a sibling? Or maybe...No. He would never think of her in such a way. Would he?

"Sasuke," she began trying to find the right words. "I don't...I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to anything."

"No, I-" And just like that, whatever moment there was, if it could even be called a moment, was interrupted by the cry of a child just waking up from his nap.

Sasuke leaned back and straightened up, unwrapping the arm that was still around the woman's waist. Kimi took the opportunity to hop off the tall stool.

"I should go check on him," she announced. Not waiting for a response, she turned and headed towards the hall where the guest room was.

Once she was out of sight, Sasuke ran his hands down his face, "Damn it."

                                                 ========================

A/N: Okay it's been almost five months since I've updated this story and I feel horrible about, but I was really busy with school this semester. I hope people are actually still reading this fic lol. This chapter is one of the shorter ones, but I think some development between Kimi and Sasuke has happened, don't you? :D After 16 chapters, we may actually be getting somewhere...maybe. >:D

p.s. I think a few chapters ago Sasuke admitted he cared, but he didn't say he cared about her like in this chapter.

Thanks for reading! Comment if you like, they are always fun to read. I may not respond to all of them but I definitely do read them. :) <3