XIX

Kimi wiped the small bead of sweat that trickled down her brow. The summer heat was unforgiving. Even standing under the cover of shade, it was sweltering. She looked down at the toddler to her right. He was sipping happily on his water, seemingly unaware of how hot it actually was. He was born in the summer, unlike his mother who was born during the winter, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

A few more minutes passed before a black car pulled up to where they stood waiting. The driver's side opened and out stepped their host.

"Sake!" Ranmaru called out happily. He was always excited whenever he saw the Uchiha, which was every day. And even though he always pronounced his name wrong, Sasuke never bothered to correct him.

"I thought you said you were ten minutes away," Kimi said when she made eye contact with him. "This heat is killer."

"I stopped to get something." Sasuke made his way around to the other side of the car, motioning for her to follow. Kimi grabbed Ranmaru's free hands and walked toward the passenger side of the car. "If it's so hot, why didn't you wait inside the lobby?" He asked when she reached him.

She turned her head muttered, "I forgot the code to get back inside."

"Again? I told you it's pound 5689."

"Pound 5689, got it."

To her defense, she hadn't been out much since the Uchiha offered up his home to her a short while ago. She had yet to find a job, so really the only times she would go out would be whenever Sasuke asked her to or she really needed to, like now.

Sasuke's fridge and pantry were running low on food, not that there was much in there to begin with besides rice, milk, cereal, eggs, and tomatoes. She didn't know how he survived, but then again, he did seem to get takeout often. Two weeks of just that and takeout was more than enough for her. Now, they were going to head to the supermarket so she could pick up some food to cook. If he was letting her stay with him for free, the least she could do was give him home cooked meals. Plus, she needed to get a few things for Ranmaru.

"Look," Sasuke said as he opened the back door. Kimi peered inside and to her surprise saw a blue and gray car seat.

"You got him a car seat? Is that what you stopped for?" He nodded and she added, "Sasuke...you didn't have to."

He shrugged, "I figure I should get him one since you'll be with me for a while." That wasn't the whole truth. Yes, he wanted Ranmaru to have one so he could sit safely in the car, but there was something else that he factored into his decision. He hated it when Kimi sat in the back seat with Ranmaru, leaving him alone in the front. It made him feel like a chauffeur or something.

Kimi picked Ranmaru up, and sat him in the seat, taking her time to make sure he was strapped in correctly.

"I'll pay you back," she said, once she was finished. She shut the door and moved over to the front passenger.

He moved in front of her to open the passenger door. "You know, a thank you would suffice."

Kimi met his eyes for a moment before her lips tugged upwards into a smirk. "Thank you, Sasuke." She slid inside the car, letting him shut the door after her.

                                                                    ♡→←♥

Kimi let out a frustrated sigh as she stopped and placed a hand on her hip, the other resting on the handle of the shopping cart. Ranmaru sat in the small seat near the handles, playing with his blue sippy cup. Sasuke stopped beside the cart, turning to face the woman with an almost bored look on his face.