XXVI

"Did you get lost?" Sasuke asked, as soon as she returned from the bathroom and met them at the table.

Kimi shot him a look before taking the seat between he and his brother. She noted the sarcasm, but let it slide granted she had spent a few extra minutes in the restroom to make sure she was still presentable. Even though Sasuke had reassured her a handful of times, it was still hard to not feel self-conscious in a place she didn't feel she belonged.

"So," Itachi began, "Mind telling me a little more about your new job?"

Kimi turned to the older man to answer, but Sasuke butt in, "What else is there to know besides the fact that Jiraiya's a lecher?"

"Sasuke!" Kimi hissed, elbowing the younger Uchiha's side, causing him to let out a small grunt and causing Itachi to lightly chuckle. She sighed, resting her hands in her lap. "Jiraiya is honestly a nice man, he's been nothing but a gentleman to me."

"Well, Jiraiya is a nice and respectable man," Itachi agreed, adding, "He just has some less than respectable tendencies around women, especially when drunk."

"You guys seem like you know him well."

Itachi nodded, "We do."

"I told you already, he's one of my friend's Godfather," Sasuke spoke.

"Oh, that's right, I forgot."

They continued idly chatting, Kimi mostly listening as Sasuke and Itachi did the talking. As she listened, she learned a few more things about the brothers, like how their father was the chief of police and how their uncle owned the company that Sasuke currently worked at. Their family, it seemed, was well off.

It was after they'd been served dinner—Kimi had gotten filet mignon, something she'd never had before, but was delicious, while the boys both ordered salmon—and after they'd finished their meals that the guest of honor made his presence known to the whole room.

Kimi had never seen the governor before, as she never paid much attention to politics, but she was surprised at how young he looked. He looked to be turning thirty, not forty. She listened as he spoke kind words to everyone in attendance, thanking them for coming out and celebrating with him. She clapped, along with everyone else, when he was finished speaking.

After that, dessert began to be served. There was a choice between molten chocolate cake with wine infused cherries, and crème brulee. She chose the chocolate, Itachi choosing the crème brulee, while Sasuke declined on having dessert.

"Honestly, Sasuke, just taste it," Kimi said, holding a spoonful of cake and fruit up to his mouth.

"No, I told you I don't like sweets."

"Oh, come on, just one bite."

"No."

"I promise it's good, just one taste."

"The way you look in that dress, I'd rather taste you."

She gaped at how casually the words came out of his mouth. That was probably the boldest, maybe even the only, innuendo she'd heard from him.

She looked around the table, hoping no one had heard, but judging by how Itachi looked away with his lips quirked, he had heard. She felt her face grow hot in embarrassment, and she narrowed her eyes at a smirking Sasuke, taking her spoon back.

That's the last time I offer him anything... She thought as she went back to eating her dessert. She felt a light pinch at her side, Sasuke of course—his subtle way of telling her that he was just messing around; however, his hand lingered and rested almost too comfortably on her thigh.