XXIII

"Detective Uchiha," Kimi greeted after her small moment of surprise wore off. His long, black hair was back in a low ponytail like last time, and he was dressed in black slacks, a white shirt, and black suspenders. She hadn't seen the officer since Sasuke had taken her to the police station and she filed a restraining order against Hidan; she hadn't heard Sasuke mention him since either.

"Kimi, how are you?" the detective returned with a smile.

"I'm fine, and you?"

"I'm doing well," he answered.

Another brief moment passed before Kimi realized that they were still at the door, him still standing in the 5th floor hallway. Opening the door wider, she stepped to the side and allowed him room to enter.

The detective took off his shoes and left them by the door. He seemed comfortable in Sasuke's home, suggesting he'd been there before. As he went to the living room to take a seat, Kimi went into the kitchen.

"I see my little brother isn't home yet," he commented.

Kimi was surprised. She knew they were related, but she hadn't expected them to be siblings. That explained why he was so comfortable in Sasuke's home, but why hadn't Sasuke told her he had a brother—especially when she'd already met him. And why hadn't he told her he was expecting company this evening?

"Would you like something to drink or eat, Detective Uchiha?"

"No, thank you." The Uchiha who'd been looking at her son play, turned to her with a gentle smile. "Please, just call me Itachi."

"Okay," she said from the kitchen.

She had to admit, she was a bit star struck. Itachi was just as handsome as Sasuke, and she found herself wondering what their parents looked like to pass down such good genes down to both sons.

"Sasuke didn't tell me you were coming, I would have prepared something."

"Don't worry," Itachi assured, "I didn't tell Sasuke I was coming. I was on my way home from work and decided to drop by."

Kimi nodded from the kitchen, as she rummaged the fridge for something easy to make for the night's dinner. She would make an extra portion for Itachi, hopefully he would stay to eat. She set the ingredients on the counter.

"Your son, what was his name again?" Itachi asked.

She turned around to answer, but stopped, her eyes widening. Ranmaru now sat in Itachi's lap, giggling as he played with the man's long hair. Her son seemed to quickly take a liking to Itachi just as he had taken a quick liking to Sasuke.

"His name is Ranmaru," she responded, deciding to join the detective in the living room as they both waited for Sasuke to return home.

She took a seat beside the older Uchiha and watch as he entertained Ranmaru. Said young boy tugged a bit too hard on Itachi's bangs, causing him to wince and earning a light scolding from his mother.

"Ran, be careful, don't tug on Itachi's hair like that," she chided. "I'm sorry," she apologized to the Uchiha. Ranmaru immediately released the lock of hair.

He chuckled, "Don't worry about it."

Seeing his mother apologize, Ranmaru tried to do the same. "Sowwy, Ta...Ta..."

"I-ta-chi," the older man slowly annunciated each syllable of his name.

"Ita...Tachi? Itachi?"

He lightly smiled and nodded his head, "Yes, that's right."

"Wight? I wight? Yay! Itachi! Itachi!"

Another chuckled left the Uchiha and tuned to Kimi revealing, "Your son is extremely cute."