XXVIII

His hands gripped the steering wheel tight, his knuckles turning white from the tension. His brother reassured that everything would be fine at least three times that week—it was the most he had ever spoken to Itachi in the span of a week—but he still felt uneasy.

"You're more nervous than me, and I think it's supposed to be the other way around." Kimi said, her lips quirking upwards with a smile.

Sasuke sighed, shaking his head. He didn't understand how Kimi wasn't nervous, she was meeting his parents. He remembered Sakura being nervous out of her mind when she first met his parents—and he understood Kimi and Sakura were two very, very different women, but hell, even he felt a bit apprehensive when he had to meet Sakura's parents for the first time.

"It's going to be fine Sasuke, chill," she said, reaching out with her left hand and gently rubbing his bicep.

It wasn't that she wasn't nervous—oh, she was. She was just trying to make the best of it, and Sasuke with his nervous ticks were absolutely not helping.

"I know, I know," he muttered, his fists clenching and unclenching around the steering wheel.

"Sasuke," Kimi scolded, putting a hand on top of his fist.

"Sorry," he sighed out, relaxing his grip on the wheel.

The rest of the drive was comfortably quiet, with only the sounds of the radio in the background, and Ranmaru making the occasional noise as he played with one of his toys in his car seat. While Sasuke's apartment was in downtown Konoha, his parents lived in the suburbs in a large gated community, and boy were the houses nice.

Kimi couldn't say she was surprised when Sasuke pulled up behind a black coupe in the driveway of a large, modern two-story house. It just made sense for Sasuke to have grown up in a large and expensive home.

She undid her seatbelt when Sasuke shut off the car and opened the door, so she could get Ranmaru out of the backseat. Sasuke waited for her to finish up before leading her up the driveway to the front door.

"You ready?" Sasuke asked, looking down at her and Ranmaru.

"I think the real question is, are you ready?" Kimi laughed, earning an eyeroll in return.

When Sasuke rang the doorbell Ranmaru asked from his spot on her hip, "Who we seeing, mommy?"

"We're going to meet Sasuke's mommy and daddy, sweetie."

"Sake mommy and daddy?"

"Mhm," she answered, running a hand through his short hair.

In a few short moments the door opened, revealing a beautiful woman with long black hair. She didn't look a day over forty, but Kimi knew she had to be older since Sasuke was in his mid-twenties. Speaking of Sasuke, now she knew who he took after—Sasuke was the spitting image of the woman

"Hello, dear!" She greeted, pulling Sasuke into a hug and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi, mother." He returned.

When they pulled away, the woman turned her attention to Kimi and Ranmaru. "My, who do we have here?' she asked with a smile.

"This is my girlfriend, Kimi, and her son, Ranmaru." Anytime she was introduced as Sasuke's girlfriend her heart soared.

She held out her hand for the older Uchiha woman, "It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Mikoto, Sasuke's mom if you couldn't tell." she introduced, taking her hand and shaking it gently. She then turned a tender smile to the little boy in Kimi's arms. "And aren't you the cutest little thing. It's nice to meet you Ranmaru."